• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trade mark - can I use the word "scrabble", TM, in my ecommerce website that sells large letter tiles for crafts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

Can I sell online, large wooden squares with letters on them, without ever mentioning the word scrabble?

I believe what you are telling me is, as long as i don’t use the word scrabble, I can sell wooden tiles with letters on them
Yes.

With a caveat.

Don't put the little score numbers on the tiles. That would be an obvious Scrabble rip off.

quincy

The appearance of the wood blocks should not confuse consumers into thinking the product is affiliated with the holder of the rights in Scrabble - but (at least in the UK), the tile appearance is not a protectable trademark.

J.W. Spears & Sons Limited & Ors v. Zynga, Inc:
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/1175.html

As a note, the holder of Scrabble rights in the UK is Mattel. In the US, it is Hasbro (and Hasbro has assigned some of its ownership rights). Also, as a note, the laws differ in the U.S. from those in the U.K.

The unauthorized use of the word Scrabble would be the biggest legal worry. Scrabble is a registered trademark and should not be used without authorization.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">