• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trade Secret Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcwilson

What is the name of your state? CA.

I signed a Trade Secret Agreement when I was hired for this company.
I currently have filed a claim with the Labor Board for unpaid commissions totaling 33K against my company.
I have also been offered a job in the same field and I am wondering if my current employer can sue me?
I have accumulated high debt because my employer has not paid me what my contract stated for commissions. I am basically forced to find another job because this employer has not honored what was offered in my contract. Can they legally keep me from working for another competitor in the same field? The offer I have received is substancially higher then I am currently being paid.

Beth3

Does the TSA also include non-compete language?

If not, then I presume you can go to work for anyone you want to provided you don't violate the terms of the agreement and reveal anything that's described as a trade secret in the agreement.

If it does, then you'll have to see an attorney. Whether a non-compete is valid is entirely dependent upon your State's case law on the matter.

Keep in mind though that there is nothing to prevent the employer from at least filing suit and your incurring legal expense to respond/defend yourself. If the suit is frivolous, you might be able to amend your claim to the Labor Board to include retalliation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A Trade Secret Agreement is not the same thing as a non-compete. You will have to have an attorney who is versed in your state laws on the subject review the agreement before you can get an accurate answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">