• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic citation in Italy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can you tell I don't like debt collectors?
Yet debt collectors are a necessary evil. If everyone paid their debts, debt collectors and lawyers to sue on the debts would not be necessary. But since some people do not pay their debts, the creditor needs to take action to collect the debt. And one of the options for that includes hiring out debt collectors to do the job.

LdiJ

I received a letter in the mail today from Cedars Business Services based in Calabasas, CA (I live in NYC) indicating they intend to collect a debt of $450 on behalf of Comune Di Pisa, Italy. I drove a rental vehicle in Pisa, Italy last year and allegedly committed a ZTL traffic violation (i.e., driving in restricted zone). The infraction was allegedly captured via camera.

I received a bill from rental company last year seeking payment for processing the traffic citation, which I paid. However, I never received a bill from Comune Di Pisa for the alleged infraction so I didn't think much about it.

What are my options? I recall reading somewhere that U.S. debt collectors don't have legal authority to collect debts incurred in foreign countries or on behalf of foreign companies, but not sure if that's really the case. My concern, of course, is that this will impact my credit.

Thanks in advance.
Demand that the collection agency validate the debt. Collection agencies honestly can accept foreign clients but its more difficult for a collection agency to sue you on behalf of a foreign client. I don't know about the impact on a credit score, because collection agencies taking on foreign clients is still pretty new.

I will tell you however that based on my experience with Italian bureaucracy, that the collection agency won't be able to validate the debt, and that the car rental company normally pays the fine and passes it on to you. How much did you have to pay the car rental company over this matter?

quincy

The collection agency in California definitely should be checked out before sending any money demanded.

From the site I linked to earlier it states: “For the USA, we have had a couple of reports that the debt collection agency Cedar Financial attempts to collect unpaid Italian traffic fines. They state they are in alliance with TMC Group, a transnational debt collecting agency, but seem to be without legal teeth.”

One suggestion, if you were ticketed on the way to your hotel, is to contact the hotel you stayed at to see if they can contact authorities to have the ticket dismissed.

LdiJ

The collection agency in California definitely should be checked out before sending any money demanded.

From the site I linked to earlier it states: “For the USA, we have had a couple of reports that the debt collection agency Cedar Financial attempts to collect unpaid Italian traffic fines. They state they are in alliance with TMC Group, a transnational debt collecting agency, but seem to be without legal teeth.”

One suggestion, if you were ticketed on the way to your hotel, is to contact the hotel you stayed at to see if they can contact authorities to have the ticket dismissed.
That can be a good idea, or a bad idea, in Italy. That kind of idea can go either way based on local relationships.

LdiJ

The link I provided earlier offered that as one suggestion, among others.
That is all well and good, but I have lived and spent a great deal of time in Italy, married an Italian etc. Things are very different there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">