• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Hearing Officer Acted Like TV's Judge Judy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Thank you for your answer. The whole problem is that the hearing officer did not allow me to state my defense. Here is the exchange. She told me I would have a chance to"tell my side of the story" after the officer. And, when I started she continually interrupted, made belittling remarks and then ended the trial by ending the zoom meeting. Here is the exchange
Me: Hi your honor. As the officer stated I am a delivery driver. I deliver throughout the town. Often I am in parts of town that I do not know so I will set my GPS to plot the best route to get me back home"
Judge" Well if you are driving by GPS you probably did not stop at the sign. GPS does not tell you where traffic signs are.
Me: Yes your honor I am aware of that. I do not depend on GPS to drive for me but merely to map out a route."
Me. So your honor I had just exited the complex you can see behind me. I pulled over here and as you can see I had a clear vantage point to see the officer who was parked to the left and the officer who"
Judge" Oh, my God you are making me nauseous with those camera movements"
Me. " oh, I am sorry your honor. "
Judge" There you go again with that camera movement, making me sick"
Me: Oh, I am sorry your honor, I will just stand here and not move"
Judge" OMG you are not a very good cameraman"
Me: " So your honor as I was saying, I pulled over to the side to set my GPS"
Judge" Well you can't stop all the way back there and then think that is stopping at the stop sign looks like ten feet in front of you."
Me" Oh, I know your honor. I had just stopped here to set my GPS"
Judge" Where is the stop sign"
I then walked to the stop sign to show her.
Judge" Where is the stop line?"
I pointed my camera at the lighter-colored bricks that I assumed demarcated the stop line she was referring to.
Judge" Officer is that a painted stop line there or just decorative colored bricks?
Officer" I am not sure"
Me" It's not a painted line your honor they are lighter colored bricks"
At that point, a car came into view, stopped, and proceeded
Judge" That's a stop line" You should have started with a defense that " I stopped at the stop sign" that's your defense.
Me" Your honor, may I say something?"
Judge" no, I will take this under advisement"
She then clicked me out of the meeting
It sounds like the judge understood the intersection and where the stop sign was, because of your livestream, and she let you explain what happened. The judge simply found the officer’s testimony more convincing.

rjames

The whole problem is that the hearing officer did not allow me to state my defense. Here is the exchange. She told me I would have a chance to"tell my side of the story" after the officer. And, when I started she continually interrupted, made belittling remarks and then ended the trial by ending the zoom meeting. Here is the exchange
Me: Hi your honor. As the officer stated I am a delivery driver. I deliver throughout the town. Often I am in parts of town that I do not know so I will set my GPS to plot the best route to get me back home"
Judge" Well if you are driving by GPS you probably did not stop at the sign. GPS does not tell you where traffic signs are.
Me: Yes your honor I am aware of that. I do not depend on GPS to drive for me but merely to map out a route."
Me. So your honor I had just exited the complex you can see behind me. I pulled over here and as you can see I had a clear vantage point to see the officer who was parked to the left and the officer who"
Judge" Well you can't stop all the way back there and then think that is stopping at the stop sign looks like ten feet in front of you."
I pointed my camera at the lighter-colored bricks that I assumed demarcated the stop line she was referring to.
Judge" Officer is that a painted stop line there or just decorative colored bricks?
Officer" I am not sure"
Judge" That's a stop line" You should have started with a defense that " I stopped at the stop sign" that's your defense.

No. I truly was not driving looking down at my GPS. I only paused momentarily because it went wonky in the intersection, I paused only for a split second and then continued straight. Once I plotted the route, I knew the streets to take and did not depend on GPS. I only glanced at it because it went wonky. I have my gps mounted so it is in my field of vision too while I drive.
The whole problem is that the hearing officer did not allow me to state my defense. Here is the exchange. She told me I would have a chance to"tell my side of the story" after the officer. And, when I started she continually interrupted, made belittling remarks and then ended the trial by ending the zoom meeting. Here is the exchange
Officer" I am not sure"

rjames

It sounds like the judge understood the intersection and where the stop sign was, because of your livestream, and she let you explain what happened. The judge simply found the officer’s testimony more convincing.
I was too busy answering her questions about " where is the stop sign, where is the stop line etc. to state that after setting the gps I pulled up, stopped at the stop sign and then proceeded. I never got to state that the officer said" oh you wait to you saw me to stop" to which I replied, no sir, I stopped at the stop sign too. In any event, I appreciate your time. I know I stopped correctly. I know the hearing officer described herself as Judge Judy in numerous local press interviews, That in of itself should be repulsive to any judge or attorney as it is quite obvious that Judge Judy is abusive and unethical in her treatment of those who appear before her. Anyone who is a sworn officer of the court should find judges who act in such a manner to have breached their oath and ethical responsibilities , as well as the law

rjames

I was too busy answering her questions about " where is the stop sign, where is the stop line etc. to state that after setting the gps I pulled up, stopped at the stop sign and then proceeded. I never got to state that the officer said" oh you wait to you saw me to stop" to which I replied, no sir, I stopped at the stop sign too. In any event, I appreciate your time. I know I stopped correctly. I know the hearing officer described herself as Judge Judy in numerous local press interviews, That in of itself should be repulsive to any judge or attorney as it is quite obvious that Judge Judy is abusive and unethical in her treatment of those who appear before her. Anyone who is a sworn officer of the court should find judges who act in such a manner to have breached their oath and ethical responsibilities, as well as the law

quincy

I was too busy answering her questions about " where is the stop sign, where is the stop line etc. to state that after setting the gps I pulled up, stopped at the stop sign and then proceeded. I never got to state that the officer said" oh you wait to you saw me to stop" to which I replied, no sir, I stopped at the stop sign too. In any event, I appreciate your time. I know I stopped correctly. I know the hearing officer described herself as Judge Judy in numerous local press interviews, That in of itself should be repulsive to any judge or attorney as it is quite obvious that Judge Judy is abusive and unethical in her treatment of those who appear before her. Anyone who is a sworn officer of the court should find judges who act in such a manner to have breached their oath and ethical responsibilities , as well as the law
A “Judge Judy” judge is one who wants just the facts. Any extraneous information is a distraction - and many laypeople have a hard time with that. Most people like to embellish their stories to make them more interesting but, often in court, the less said the better.

At any rate, the judge had the opportunity to see another car stop while you were live-streaming during the hearing so she could see the area in question. She heard from the officer and she heard from you. She made her decision.

How much is the fine?

LdiJ

Officer" I am not sure"

The first words out of your mouth should have been: "I stopped at the stop sign". The second words out of your mouth should have been: "I also stopped again due to confusion with my GPS".

Everything else was irrelevant and unnecessary.

rjames

The first words out of your mouth should have been: "I stopped at the stop sign". The second words out of your mouth should have been: "I also stopped again due to confusion with my GPS".

(4) A judge shall be patient, dignified, and courteous to litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers, and others with whom the judge deals in an official capacity, and shall require similar conduct of lawyers, and of staff, court officials, and others subject to the judge's direction and control.

Perhaps she should have conducted herself in a manner befitting of a judge rather than be a rude, discourteous, constantly interrupting me, bitch. By the way, her instruction for me to "tell my side of the story" did not seem like an instruction to immediately state" I stopped at the stop sign"

Last edited:

rjames

Yup. You have repeated that three times now. :)

How much is the fine?

You might want to re-read the post by Taxing Matters.
Only 164. Had I been guilty of not properly stopping, I would have paid the amount and been done. I truly believed I would have an opportunity to " tell my side" without the hearing officers' constant interruptions, rude, discourteous conduct, and outright hostile tone of voice throughout the approximately 4 to 5-minute proceeding. I guess the pressures of her docket, while not my fault, became my problem.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Only 164. Had I been guilty of not properly stopping, I would have paid the amount and been done. I truly believed I would have an opportunity to " tell my side" without the hearing officers' constant interruptions, rude, discourteous conduct, and outright hostile tone of voice throughout the approximately 4 to 5-minute proceeding. I guess the pressures of her docket, while not my fault, became my problem.
Your problem is you didn't understand what was relevant to your story and instead went into irrelevant side stuff. That was your problem. Did you observe traffic court trials prior to that day?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
(4) A judge shall be patient, dignified, and courteous to litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers, and others with whom the judge deals in an official capacity, and shall require similar conduct of lawyers, and of staff, court officials, and others subject to the judge's direction and control.

Perhaps she should have conducted herself in a manner befitting of a judge rather than be a rude, discourteous, constantly interrupting me, bitch. By the way, her instruction for me to "tell my side of the story" did not seem like an instruction to immediately state" I stopped at the stop sign"

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Thank you, Ldij. I think this needs to be repeated again, bolder and larger, just in case the message isn't getting through to OP:

rjames

Thank you, Ldij. I think this needs to be repeated again, bolder and larger, just in case the message isn't getting through to OP:

Unimpressed by your arrogance, childishness, and what actually looks like sociopathy. In any event, you might want to read Quincy's responses and learn what tact, sensitivity, and professionalism look like.

rjames

Your problem is you didn't understand what was relevant to your story and instead went into irrelevant side stuff. That was your problem. Did you observe traffic court trials prior to that day?
Thank you for your response. I guess I really did not understand the proceeding. I really thought I would have a chance to tell my side of the story. I stated that I had stopped initially to indicate to the judge that I had a vantage point to see the ticketing operation in effect. I thought that would establish the credibility of my later statements because only a fool would see cops out ticketing people and then blow through a stop sign right in front of them. I am not a fool. What I did not expect was to be yelled out in a hostile tone of voice from the judge and then be continually interrupted so that I could not present my side fully. In any event. Again thank you for your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">