• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

the car belonged to the driver i was just the passenger. they pulled her over for the tail light. then thats when a cop came to my window asking for ID. i told him i didnt have to ID myself and thats when he got upset and started sayng that i would be arrested and charge if i didnt ID myself.
Well ... you were right. You didn't have to identify yourself.

Police officers can be pretty intimidating.

rgs87

So why did you identify yourself? You were on solid footing in refusing to identify yourself as Texas law mandates it only after you are actually arrested.

You blinked first. Cop won.
i finally ID myself after the continuos threats of being arrested and having additional charges that he kept speaking of if i didnt ID myself. i did said multiple times that i was just a passenger and i did nothing wrong and that he didnt have the right to detain me. but he continued to say that once they pulled the vehicle over for the tail light everyone in the car was detained.

rgs87

Well ... you were right. You didn't have to identify yourself.

Police officers can be pretty intimidating.
i mean i knew i had the waarant. and i was already in the works with the city to get back on a payment plan. so at the end of the day it was taken care of since i was arrested and sat in jail. but i still feel like the officer should be addressed for 1) violating rights. 2) threaten someone who committed no crime with jail time. and 3) being rough with the arrest because i initially refused to ID myself and he was mad because i kept refusing which i had every right to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">