• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trafficking First Offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Thank you. We are hoping for an outcome that will help our family member to get clean. And I hear drugs also are in prison so I cannot say for sure that is the best place considering what we know that I have not provided here.
Your relative's attorney should know all facts to best represent your relative.

In the meantime, you can try to see that s/he gets treatment. But your relative's fate is really out of your control. It is up to your relative at this point to WANT to do the work necessary to get clean.

Good luck.

xylene

You get what you pay for in a free board that "advises" long incarceration to treat a medical problem. :rolleyes:

quincy

You get what you pay for in a free board that "advises" long incarceration to treat a medical problem. :rolleyes:
The long incarceration is for the distribution and sale of illegal drugs. Having a gun in your possession when distributing and selling these illegal drugs enhances the penalties.

The penalties tend to be less for drug users, and drug treatment is often included in the sentencing.

Certainly you are not in favor of leniency for drug dealers, are you, xylene?

Whatever the case and whatever your opinion, this is a legal forum and the law is what it is. If you want to work on changing the laws you don't like, that is your option. But please don't fault this forum for providing accurate legal information.

Last edited:

CatsGirl

Yeah. Many offer opinions. And many people despise a drug addict and dealer even if the dealer is an addict.

I would prefer they be a pot dealer as opposed to what the police said they had but an opiate addict probably is not interested in pot. Especially when they got turned on to them by being prescribed pain pills for their medical problems.

I am certain though that most people strike deals often. Especially first time offenders. Nobody died and nobody overdosed. So it depends on what kind of deal they can work out.

I don't think a deal of no prison is off the table. It is going to take a skilled attorney which we have found.

Thank you for the accurate information.

CatsGirl

After seeing this I certainly am in favor of trying to help. I may not change laws but I am in favor of awareness about addiction and how incarcerating addicts does not stop the sale of drugs. You must stop the need for the drugs. And treatment costs taxpayers less than incarceration and also can keep productive citizens somewhat employable. There are drug dealers who do it for money. There are dealers who do it for drugs. There are dealers who deal to other addicts as a favor because they are all addicts and they share their supply at a lower cost with one another.

I personally think looking at the whole of a person and their situation is more justice than "you did that...you get this". And I am hopeful that is the type of judge and prosecutor that ends up with this case.

quincy

After seeing this I certainly am in favor of trying to help. I may not change laws but I am in favor of awareness about addiction and how incarcerating addicts does not stop the sale of drugs. You must stop the need for the drugs. And treatment costs taxpayers less than incarceration and also can keep productive citizens somewhat employable. There are drug dealers who do it for money. There are dealers who do it for drugs. There are dealers who deal to other addicts as a favor because they are all addicts and they share their supply at a lower cost with one another.

I personally think looking at the whole of a person and their situation is more justice than "you did that...you get this". And I am hopeful that is the type of judge and prosecutor that ends up with this case.
Although a judge has some discretion when it comes to sentencing, the judge will stay within the statutory guidelines for a crime (with a few rare exceptions). If convicted of trafficking, therefore, there is almost a guarantee there will be some time spent in prison for your relative.

The attorney your relative has might find some way to get the charges reduced, which is probably the best your relative can hope for.

Kentucky has increased the penalties for drug traffickers because the abuse of heroin and fentanyl has become a huge problem in your state. It is not common for the drug dealers to be addicts, by the way. Instead, the dealers get rich off the addicts by selling them the illegal drugs.

I said earlier that I have mixed feelings about sending addicts to prison. I still do.

Good luck to your relative.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

If you want to help, why are you enabling your relative. Seriously, why? If your relative wanted to get clean, he would have taken the first steps. Instead he turned to dealing.

CatsGirl

Charges were dropped to possession I found out, weapons not an issue. Likely to be resolved soon with a hefty fine and strict probation rules including in patient treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Charges were dropped to possession I found out, weapons not an issue. Likely to be resolved soon with a hefty fine and strict probation rules including in patient treatment.
Your relative most likely will die especially if treatment is NOT their choice.

jimnyc

Your relative most likely will die especially if treatment is NOT their choice.
I agree wholeheartedly. Fentanyl is the worst drug in the nation. This isn't something his local doctor handed out. Recently, a police officer accidentally OD'd and his heart stopped a few times, because when he busted someone a little powder was accidentally rubbed onto his shirt. Eventually it soaked through and did it's damage. He's lucky he was in the precinct when he fell ill. --- In possession of a gun, while dealing THIS drug? This person deserves prison. Look for help on the inside.

*Additionally, this is also the drug that recently killed "Prince".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree wholeheartedly. Fentanyl is the worst drug in the nation. This isn't something his local doctor handed out. Recently, a police officer accidentally OD'd and his heart stopped a few times, because when he busted someone a little powder was accidentally rubbed onto his shirt. Eventually it soaked through and did it's damage. He's lucky he was in the precinct when he fell ill. --- In possession of a gun, while dealing THIS drug? This person deserves prison. Look for help on the inside.

*Additionally, this is also the drug that recently killed "Prince".
Sounds harsh but I, and several other defense attorneys in the Midwest, have had to approach the Midwest to have charges dismissed due to the fact that the drug addict DIED.

Heroin and fentanyl are not things to screw around with. I guarantee I know more about it than OP does from all the cases that I have had regarding it. But she is in the dark and wants to have rose colored glasses. I pity her.

quincy

Interesting.

Not all that believable, perhaps, but interesting nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">