• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

training course reimbursement...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jme_cali

During my employment with company X I was required to take a week long training course. It cost the company $1802.00. Ten months after I left the company they are billing me for this course claiming that my employment agreement states that I will reimburse the company for classes I take. The course they are asking me to reimburse them for was mandatory. Is there any way I can fight this? Also, they informed me (10 months after my last day) that they will be charging me 12% interest starting from my last day of employment and until I have the debt completely paid off. Is that possible for them to do?

[This message has been edited by jme_cali (edited June 29, 2000).]

A

Attorney_Replogle

If your employment agreement so stated that you had to pay off any and all courses, with interest, then you are liable to do that. Generally speaking, such agreements state that such repayment will not be required if after the training or course taken, the employee works for the employer another X months or years.

You may want to have an employment law attorney actually read that employment agreement, as well as any subsequent documents from the former employer, to give you further advice.

You can find one at attorneypages.com

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">