• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transaction w/ minor 3rd degree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Kentucky and I just turned 18 a couple weeks ago and I messed up and got charged with unlawful transaction with a minor 3rd degree just for a small amount of marijuana that I claimed was mine. What can happen to me? This is my first run in with the law and I’m just not to sure what to do.

quincy

I live in Kentucky and I just turned 18 a couple weeks ago and I messed up and got charged with unlawful transaction with a minor 3rd degree just for a small amount of marijuana that I claimed was mine. What can happen to me? This is my first run in with the law and I’m just not to sure what to do.
Here is a link to the law you are said to have violated:

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=20003

Because you have been charged with a Class A misdemeanor, you will want to have an attorney help with your defense. You face on conviction of the charge up to 12 months in jail.

zddoodah

I just turned 18 a couple weeks ago and I messed up and got charged with unlawful transaction with a minor 3rd degree just for a small amount of marijuana that I claimed was mine.
"Unlawful transaction with a minor in the third degree" is codified in section 530.070 of the Kentucky Statutes, and I assume you were charged under sub-section (1)(b). Correct?

What can happen to me?
As indicated in sub-section (2), the crime in question is a Class A misdemeanor. A quick google search indicates that a Class A misdemeanor is punishable by 90 days to 12 months in jail and a fine of up to $500.

This is my first run in with the law
Quit using and dealing illicit drugs so that it will be your last.

I’m just not to sure what to do.
Retain the best defense attorney you can afford (even if it means borrowing money from a relative) or seek appointment of a public defender. Note that, if the Commonwealth does not seek incarceration, you might not be able to have a public defender appointed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">