• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer from Europe to US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adam124

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello everybody. My name's Adam. I am 28 yo. I live and completed my education in Europe, in Poland.
I am planning to move to work and learn to United States. My mother is Polish and my father is American, but they divorced.
The court decided I should stay with my mother, so I lived and got education in Europe, in Poland.
I've got Polish and US nationality due to my parents (Consular report of birth).
I was in US 2 times for vacation in summer.
I have been studying for 6 years and finally gratuated in 2015.
2 faculties
1. Management and Prodcution Engineering = enginer degree
2. Law = master degree.
It was for no tutition (free for EU citizens). I have my diploma in Polish and English with explanation of Polish education system.
Poland is the member of EU, so ECTS points apply. ECTS can be calculated to American credits I think.
I would like to get these diplomas accepted and apply for master for Business or Management.
I am currently enrolled to TOEFL exam preparation course and trying to improve my English.
I tried to save some money for start living and learning in US, but I earn only 500$/month if I calculate currency, so my savings are about 4000 $.
Please help me with that questions:
1. Should I apply as a foreigner or as a domestic?
2. Will I qualify for some scholarship? Or should I establish residence in US and work for 1 year? Please write me names if possible?
3. What is the best US State to start eduaction & work?
4. Are there interviews for admission? In Europe, there weren't, only paper review.

Thank you for replies in advance :),
God bless America and You all.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello everybody. My name's Adam. I am 28 yo. I live and completed my education in Europe, in Poland.
I am planning to move to work and learn to United States. My mother is Polish and my father is American, but they divorced.
The court decided I should stay with my mother, so I lived and got education in Europe, in Poland.
I've got Polish and US nationality due to my parents (Consular report of birth).
I was in US 2 times for vacation in summer.
I have been studying for 6 years and finally gratuated in 2015.
2 faculties
1. Management and Prodcution Engineering = enginer degree
2. Law = master degree.
It was for no tutition (free for EU citizens). I have my diploma in Polish and English with explanation of Polish education system.
Poland is the member of EU, so ECTS points apply. ECTS can be calculated to American credits I think.
I would like to get these diplomas accepted and apply for master for Business or Management.
I am currently enrolled to TOEFL exam preparation course and trying to improve my English.
I tried to save some money for start living and learning in US, but I earn only 500$/month if I calculate currency, so my savings are about 4000 $.
Please help me with that questions:
1. Should I apply as a foreigner or as a domestic?
2. Will I qualify for some scholarship? Or should I establish residence in US and work for 1 year? Please write me names if possible?
3. What is the best US State to start eduaction & work?
4. Are there interviews for admission? In Europe, there weren't, only paper review.

Thank you for replies in advance :),
God bless America and You all.
Do you have an American passport? Does your father currently live in the US? It of course would be better for you to enter as a US citizen because you would have more options available to you, including being able to work in the US as much as you need in order to support yourself.

Adam124

Do you have an American passport? Does your father currently live in the US? It of course would be better for you to enter as a US citizen because you would have more options available to you, including being able to work in the US as much as you need in order to support yourself.
Yes. I have US passport and US Consular Report of Birth and Polish passport. I know immigration law is not a problem for me and I can work and reside.
My father lives in the US but found another wife and has another family and unfortunately doesn't care about me any more :mad:..
I am trying to find some help with admission documents and scholarship laws.
I tried to find information at my university bureau of exchange but they provide exchange for European Union only, so I have to do all alone before arrival in the US.

So all information would be welcome and of course I hope they won't reject me because of that all transripts are from Europe or my English is not at the required level.
I do speak English but still need improvement for less frequent word (rocks names, organs, scientific expressions, some adjectives and adverbs less frequent in everyday use).

I will go for work but I hope to combine it with education at least for one year.
Of course it would be nice to get some assistance because I have only 4000 $ and I would be happy to get some scholarship.
I know there are also loans but they are VERY difficult to get for a man who has no prior employment history in US, so I hope it is not necessary to pay all the costs before studies but also after.

Thanks for reply.

LdiJ

Yes. I have US passport and US Consular Report of Birth and Polish passport. I know immigration law is not a problem for me and I can work and reside.
My father lives in the US but found another wife and has another family and unfortunately doesn't care about me any more :mad:..
I am trying to find some help with admission documents and scholarship laws.
I tried to find information at my university bureau of exchange but they provide exchange for European Union only, so I have to do all alone before arrival in the US.

So all information would be welcome and of course I hope they won't reject me because of that all transripts are from Europe or my English is not at the required level.
I do speak English but still need improvement for less frequent word (rocks names, organs, scientific expressions, some adjectives and adverbs less frequent in everyday use).

I will go for work but I hope to combine it with education at least for one year.
Of course it would be nice to get some assistance because I have only 4000 $ and I would be happy to get some scholarship.
I know there are also loans but they are VERY difficult to get for a man who has no prior employment history in US, so I hope it is not necessary to pay all the costs before studies but also after.

Thanks for reply.
If you reside in a US state for one full year before attempting to enroll in a university you will be eligible for "in state" tuition which would help reduce expenses enormously. Any other scholarship or student loan opportunities would be merit based or would require some cooperation from your father.

Adam124

If you reside in a US state for one full year before attempting to enroll in a university you will be eligible for "in state" tuition which would help reduce expenses enormously. Any other scholarship or student loan opportunities would be merit based or would require some cooperation from your father.
Ok. Most important questions:
1. Should I apply as US applicant or as a foreigner? I have US passport but transcript is from Poland.
2. Are there interviews for entry like in apllying for work or simply paperwork?

I know that I will find exact info about scholarship at the university where I will apply, but I am asking about basics.
So I will go for work and apply after one year.

Thank you for information!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Ok. Most important questions:
1. Should I apply as US applicant or as a foreigner? I have US passport but transcript is from Poland.
2. Are there interviews for entry like in apllying for work or simply paperwork?

I know that I will find exact info about scholarship at the university where I will apply, but I am asking about basics.
So I will go for work and apply after one year.

Thank you for information!
Apply as a US citizen.

That way they know that you don't need a student visa.

It is very important to do well on the TOEFEL. Depending on the program you apply to, they may have teaching or research assistantships. (Although not likely in an MBA program.) Being able to speak English well, in addition to being a good student, helps in getting one of these positions, or other on campus employment. Some assistantships come with tuition waivers. Some public institutions offer in-state tuition to those with 1/2 time assistantships. You have to be very frugal to live on what they pay, but it can be done. So keep this in mind when looking at graduate programs.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
He’s 28 and looking for graduate education. He won’t need his father's cooperation for any scholarships or aid. I certainly didn’t need any information from my parents for scholarships or loans when I went back to law school after having worked a few years. Everything was based purely on MY information.

LdiJ

He’s 28 and looking for graduate education. He won’t need his father's cooperation for any scholarships or aid. I certainly didn’t need any information from my parents for scholarships or loans when I went back to law school after having worked a few years. Everything was based purely on MY information.
I didn't catch his age. That's my bad.

t74

I recommend that you move to the location where you would like to study and obtain employment. An MBA is offered many places. Polish or Eastern European or Slavic studies is very unusual. If you choose a university where these are offered, you are likely to find supportive faculty who would welcome a native speaker to campus and might be able to assist you in finding employment, perhaps even on campus as a tutor or departmental student assistant. I am listing just a few of the programs to get started searching for schools. A state supported school is going to be much more affordable than a private university. Cost is a very big issue in higher education. You will also find living in a large city like New York, Chicago, Washington DC to be far more expensive than smaller cities. Also note that people of Polish descent are more likely to live in the Northeast part of the US

Do not allow people to convince you to take out large student loans; they will be hard to pay back and limit your future choices.

These are just a few of the programs I found on a quick web search:

https://catalog.buffalo.edu/courses/polish.html

https://catalog.uic.edu/ucat/colleges-depts/liberal-arts-sciences/slav/ba-pol/

http://www.txstate.edu/internationalstudies/Degrees-and-Programs/undergraduatedegrees/russianstudies.html

https://slaviccenter.osu.edu/ma

You state you have a masters degree in law. I believe that this will serve you better than getting an MBA. If you are licensed to practice in Poland, look into firms there with an office in the US. I would expect there would be interested in your dual citizenship and the ease it gives you to travel easily between the US and European Union. Obtaining a US law license would be a tremendous addition to your resume but might not be financially possible. I am sure there are ways to use it as entry to a US legal education program; you'll just have to research it and will need excellent written and verbal English language skills. I know Polish is a difficult language for Americans to learn; I expect the differences between the two make it a challenge for a Polish speaker to learn English. It is possible to become a US "paralegal" relatively quickly which would give you the basics US law which with your Polish language skills and legal background would be very useful for an international firm. Once you are employed, it will be possible to obtain an MBA online or part time; law schools in the US can also be part time study. Employers often fund education that is useful to them for their employees.

I also suggest you make contact with your father. You might find that your step-mother and your step (father's wife's children but not your father's) and half (your father's and step-mother's children) brothers and sisters will be more welcoming to you than you expect. Many fathers who have not had a lot of contact with their children are resentful of having had to pay child support. Without a financial obligation, your father may be more open to a relationship. He should be proud of your accomplishments and plans. I hope they can give you additional advice.

My son's employer has sent him to Poland to train their employees there; he has also vacationed there and really enjoys it.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">