• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transfer of custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nana99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

MY stepdaughter is 16 and has decided she wants to live with my husband and I. Her parents had decided to let her come live with us until the end of the school year and then decide if that is what she wanted and then they were going to go to the courts. We went to the school yesterday to talk to them about enrolling her and my husband was told that he had to have custody in order to enroll her. Her mother called the courts in the state the divorce was done and was told it took 30 days to do this. I understand I am a legal stranger, I was just curious if there was some sort of temporary custody that can be done until the end of the year or something like that. She lives in Alabama right now, the divorce was done in Georgia and we live in NH, so not even sure which courts would have to take care of this. I just hate to see them have to do a transfer of custody and then transfer it back if she doesn't like it. I am just wondering where to even start. Again I know I am a legal stranger, I just know that her parents and the child herself are upset now because she was going to be moving here Thanksgiving break and now is probably going to be waiting until January, but that is also because of the difference in school schedules and we were told yesterday she would not get any credit for the classes she has taken so far this year.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

MY stepdaughter is 16 and has decided she wants to live with my husband and I. Her parents had decided to let her come live with us until the end of the school year and then decide if that is what she wanted and then they were going to go to the courts. We went to the school yesterday to talk to them about enrolling her and my husband was told that he had to have custody in order to enroll her. Her mother called the courts in the state the divorce was done and was told it took 30 days to do this. I understand I am a legal stranger, I was just curious if there was some sort of temporary custody that can be done until the end of the year or something like that. She lives in Alabama right now, the divorce was done in Georgia and we live in NH, so not even sure which courts would have to take care of this. I just hate to see them have to do a transfer of custody and then transfer it back if she doesn't like it. I am just wondering where to even start. Again I know I am a legal stranger, I just know that her parents and the child herself are upset now because she was going to be moving here Thanksgiving break and now is probably going to be waiting until January, but that is also because of the difference in school schedules and we were told yesterday she would not get any credit for the classes she has taken so far this year.
There might not even be time to get something legally accomplished before January...unless you all simply accept the jurisdiction of the Alabama courts (since that is where the child resides).

You all really need an attorney in AL to handle this. If you use one you might get a temporary custody order signed off on by a judge in time for January.

nana99

Thank you, I believe her mother is going to call an attorney in Alabama today. They thought this was going to be easy, mom was just going to send child support back to dad every month and do something legally over the summer. Glad we went to school yesterday. I know when my divorce was final I didn't have the papers right away and was never asked for them at school when I enrolled kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">