• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of deceased mother's car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silencedogood

Texas
My mom died leaving several credit card debts. Her car is worth less then $1800. She owned the car free and clear. Her debts way exceed that. Can I transfer the title without problems? I could use the money to pay her funeral bills. She did not own a house and her furniture is worth very little.

pojo2

Is there a will? if not then you will have to have the courts appoint you as Personal Representative so you would have the ability to sell the car and pay the debts and yes you could chose the funeral expenses first. Then you would just contact the credit card companies and advise them of the death and that there are no assets from which the accounts could be paid off.

HomeGuru

silencedogood said:
Texas
My mom died leaving several credit card debts. Her car is worth less then $1800. She owned the car free and clear. Her debts way exceed that. Can I transfer the title without problems? I could use the money to pay her funeral bills. She did not own a house and her furniture is worth very little.

**A: you can't transfer title since you are not on title.

silencedogood

Car Title

undefined
Texas
But if the person is dead the what happens to the car? Can't I apply for an affidavit of heirship for a motor vehicle or will the creditors get mad and try and go after me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">