• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of emails; privacy concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bob48

Recently, when I needed to transfer the gmail emails to outlook, I've used a service that provides that transferring (from here: www.outlooktransfer.com/products/mbox-to-outlook-transfer), and it worked awesome, all my emails are transferred. But now, I'm just curious about law aspects of it. Is it completely legal for companies to take all your private emails for purpose of transferring? And how to be sure, that my emails now are not collected on 3-rd party servers?

quincy

Recently, when I needed to transfer the gmail emails to outlook, I've used a service that provides that transferring (from here: www.outlooktransfer.com/products/mbox-to-outlook-transfer), and it worked awesome, all my emails are transferred. But now, I'm just curious about law aspects of it. Is it completely legal for companies to take all your private emails for purpose of transferring? And how to be sure, that my emails now are not collected on 3-rd party servers?
What is the name of your state, bob48?

There is very little privacy on the internet. If you are concerned about privacy, you actually fare better by writing and mailing letters the old fashioned way - handwritten on stationary and mailed in an envelope using the US Postal Service.

Most companies that offer services online have privacy terms outlined so you know how your personal information will be handled.

On the internet and off, you need to read carefully any agreement before agreeing to it (through a handwritten signature or a "click, I agree").

PayrollHRGuy

Bob, you have two questions.

"Is it completely legal for companies to take all your private emails for purpose of transferring?"
Of course, it is legal. That is what you hired them to do.

"And how to be sure, that my emails now are not collected on 3-rd party servers?"
That is more technical than a legal question. I have no way to know if they kept them or if they were selling the data. But as has been mentioned you could try reading their terms of service to see what you agreed to.

quincy

The key is really reading and understanding the terms of all contracts/agreements before agreeing to the terms. If you don't like the terms and conditions, don't legally bind yourself by signing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">