• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer Of Guardianship From Wi To Il

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?ILLINOIS
I live in Illinois. In 1991, my grandmother was found to be incompetent (Alzheimers) and after a court proceeding, I was given letters of Guardianship for her. She continued to live in Wisconsin (in a protective environment - the Guardianship calls for "protective placement") and I ran back & forth (250 miles!) for many years while handling her affairs. My grandmother is now 95 years old, had been hospitalized for several days, and the dr. adivised that she be sent to sub-acute or nursing home care, to see if she would be able to go back to the "class B" group home environment she lived in.

She receives Medicaid through the state of Wisconsin and also is covered by Medicare and her "supplemental" health insurance, which I pay for out of her funds, through State Farm Health Ins. which picks up the cost that Medicare does not cover. The dr. agreed that it would be better, given her advanced age and declining condition, that she be nearer to family. I could no longer continue to run back and forth the 500 mile round trip at every health crisis. My worst fear is that she would be stricken, sent to the hospital and could die with me en route the four hour trip it takes by car to be there. The dr. advised that the best case scenario for her emotional and physical well being would be to move her just once, upon release from the hospital to a "skilled-care" dementia unit in Illinois, near to me. She is now 20 minutes from my Illinois home, I can be with her, to support her and to reassure her in any crisis, emotional or physical. She is in the advanced stages of Alzheimers, becomes agitated, anxious at times. She and I have always been close and she wanted me to handle her affairs for her after my dad, her only child, passed away in 1986.

How can this guardianship be transferred to Illinois, so that I can continue to oversee her limited finances (set up under WI guidelines as $2000 asset limit, etc.) without having it cost money that she doesn't have and should be using to provide for continuing to provide a good quality of life? I am fearful that IL guardianship laws will require a flurry of paperwork, unnecessary expenses that she doesn't have!! Should it just transfer with a signature after someone from IL reviews the information in the case file in WI???



You will have to set up a guardianship in Illinois; they will probably make you start from scratch.


Senior Member
You must petition the court in WI for permission to move your grandmother and transfer the guardianship to IL. This was to be done PRIOR to moving her; therefore, do not be surprised if the judge is irate over moving granny first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential