• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of mobile home title without my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

I sold a piece of property and it had a mobile home on it. I did not transfer the title or give a bill of sale to the mobile home.
The new property owner contacted me in December, wanting the title to the mobile home, I refused unless they gave me a little money. They had a buyer for the property and the buyers wanted a title. Their neighbor told me they got a title for the home and sold it. I checked it on Florida's title website, and a new title was issued yesterday.

How is this legal?

My address on the title was my current address and if applying for an abandoned home title my understanding is they would have to contact me first, which they didn't. I don't know this is what they did. I will go to the DMV tomorrow and ask.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Florida

I sold a piece of property and it had a mobile home on it. I did not transfer the title or give a bill of sale to the mobile home.
The new property owner contacted me in December, wanting the title to the mobile home, I refused unless they gave me a little money. They had a buyer for the property and the buyers wanted a title. Their neighbor told me they got a title for the home and sold it. I checked it on Florida's title website, and a new title was issued yesterday.

How is this legal?

My address on the title was my current address and if applying for an abandoned home title my understanding is they would have to contact me first, which they didn't. I don't know this is what they did. I will go to the DMV tomorrow and ask.
Were you paying the owner rent to keep your MH on their property?

When you sold the property, what was the contracted disposition of the home?

How long ago did you sell the property?
The contract said attached property but the home was not attached at time of sale, sold for $165,000. The Bay county tax records showed the property as vacant at time of sale but they new property owners had the home assessed on the property but the MH was still in my name. I sold the property in August of 2016. The new owners contacted me in December of 2018 asking for the titles and the new titles were transferred into someone elses name on 1/16/2019. They sold the property for $195,000 in December of 2018. I am not sure whose name it was transferred into as the website does not give a name. The home was not specifically or or indirectly mentioned in the sales contract.

So you sold the land it sat on but offered no money to them for storing it? Why didn't you move it?
It would have been $8,000 to move and I had no where to put it. The new land owners were taking good care of it so I put it on the back burner. Yes I should have acted sooner, but that still does not give someone a right to transfer the titles out of my name without notice, I would hope.

quincy

The contract said attached property but the home was not attached at time of sale, sold for $165,000. The Bay county tax records showed the property as vacant at time of sale but they new property owners had the home assessed on the property but the MH was still in my name. I sold the property in August of 2016. The new owners contacted me in December of 2018 asking for the titles and the new titles were transferred into someone elses name on 1/16/2019. They sold the property for $195,000 in December of 2018. I am not sure whose name it was transferred into as the website does not give a name. The home was not specifically or or indirectly mentioned in the sales contract.
If the contract said the property was sold with "attached property," what was the attached property that was sold?

The purchasers of the property were not renting the mobile home from you or did not tell you to remove the mobile home?

Just Blue

It would have been $8,000 to move and I had no where to put it. The new land owners were taking good care of it so I put it on the back burner. Yes I should have acted sooner, but that still does not give someone a right to transfer the titles out of my name without notice, I would hope.
Well...you abandoned the MH on their land. They *might* have had the right to sell it. I strongly suggest you discuss this with an attorney.

Eekamouse

You just sold the land. You should have had the money to move it. You just expected them to store it for free? If you wanted it, you would have found somewhere to relocate it to.

adjusterjack

You talk about rights. You sold land with a mobile home on it and left it there because you didn't want to pay to have it moved. Sorry, bub, you gave up any right to it or to any more money.

Get over it and move on.

justalayman

After 2 years?

I haven’t chased statutes for this but I suspect after 2 years they would have a right to gain title.

It’s likely to cost you more to fight this than it would have cost to move it. Unless you’re ready to spend the money to fight this, just let it go.

After 2 years?

I haven’t chased statutes for this but I suspect after 2 years they would have a right to gain title.

Update:
1. I called my local DMV and they said they transferred the title using alternate proof of ownership.
They said it was odd that the title was transferred in an office 100 miles away from the MH. She looked it up and gave me the number to the office it was transferred in.
2. I called the office and they found me the person who had actually transferred the title. She said "Mobile Home Services of Jacksonville," a Google search did not find that company for me, subimited the transfer. She said they submitted a copy of the permit I pulled to place it on the property, they submitted the tax documents showing the new property owners paid the taxes on the land and home for the past two years, and they submitted they had insurance on it for the past two years. She said that was enough information to transfer the title on her end, but she said that procedure is only for situations where the owner could not be contacted, so I could maybe sue but suggested the effort would not justify the outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">