• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samwang201301

Hello. Thanks for your help in advance. I helped my brother and sister in law buy a house by co-signing. I am listed as joint tenant on the title. So there are 3 names as joint tenant of this single family home in Ornage County, California. Now I never claimed the property on my tax returns and have left all dealings to them. But it is time to remove myself from the title by transferring my ownership portion to them. Question. Will this trigger property tax reassessment? Do I hire a real estate attorney to do the transfer, if so how much do they usually charge for this service?

LdiJ

Hello. Thanks for your help in advance. I helped my brother and sister in law buy a house by co-signing. I am listed as joint tenant on the title. So there are 3 names as joint tenant of this single family home in Ornage County, California. Now I never claimed the property on my tax returns and have left all dealings to them. But it is time to remove myself from the title by transferring my ownership portion to them. Question. Will this trigger property tax reassessment? Do I hire a real estate attorney to do the transfer, if so how much do they usually charge for this service?
Are you on the mortgage? If so, you do NOT want to remove your name from the deed yet. Removing your name from the deed will not remove your name from the mortgage. Only a refinance (without you) will do that. Your name could be removed from the deed as part of a refinance. I do not know whether or not that would trigger a property tax assessment. I would think not, but a local real estate attorney can better answer that question.

samwang201301

Wow. Totally forgot about the mortgage. Refinancing would definitely trigger property value reassessment. OK, guess that the end of this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">