• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transferring probation to a different county within the state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ineedhelp4321

how easy would it to be to transfer my probation to a different county in NY? everything i read online says it should be easy and i had a PO who was willing to help me nad made it sound easy. i got a deferred sentence probation and they told me that i have to wait until that is over to do it. I asked my lawyer and he just pretty much sounded like he was shooting it down idk why he made it sound impossible without a job and place to stay in place. i already had an address where i'd be staying and the old PO said that would be good enough.

i got a new PO and she doesn't seem very nice so im very worried and my lawyer is making it sound like i cant do it but i looked online and moving is a valid reason to transfer your probation from what i read from other sites. my old PO told me its really easy to transfer within the state as long as its not out of state. I really need to move where i have better resources and i have good job opprotunities down there i just cant actually take any of them unless i move or something. should i try talking to other lawyers about it?

FlyingRon

Your lawyer would know better than us as to your exact situation, but usually its nearly entirely at the discretion of the probation officer.
You need to be in good standing with your existing probation and get approval BEFORE you make any move (and be prepared to show that you have both good cause to move and proper work/'school/housing in the new location).

In NY it is generally quite easy to transfer supervision from one county to another. If your current P.O. is not willing to assist you with the transfer process, I suggest you contact their supervisor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">