• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transgender Bathroom Access in School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CameronKreider

I’m in San Antonio, Texas and am wondering what sort of action I should pursue, if any possible. In my public school, the only bathrooms that transgender students are allowed to use are the single stall two special ed bathrooms at the front of the school. However, these bathrooms are incredibly hard to access during school (like normal kids, I’d like to use the bathroom when needed) due to the school size (about 3,700 kids and numerous buildings), schedule (most classrooms being in the back of the main building), and time permitted to use the bathroom during class, which is five minutes. By the time I would make it to the bathroom during class, I would’ve already drawn suspicion from my teacher because of how long I had taken. I also can’t go during passing period because I barely even make it to class on time by speed walking, no way I’d make it by walking all the way across school to use the restroom.

TLDR: Trans students only allowed to use two single stall bathrooms at front of school but the school is so big that it’d take over the five minute in class bathroom break limit. Also can’t go during lunch because that’s when the special ed class uses it. What legal action should I pursue?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You'll need to consult a civil rights attorney in your area. The problem you have is that neither federal nor Texas state law expressly prohibits discrimination against transgender students. Federal law does require that schools that take federal funds cannot discriminate on the basis of "sex" but so far it is unclear whether the term "sex" also refers to gender and specifically transgender. The U.S. Supreme Court has 2 cases now before it that may shed light on that issue, but until then it is an unsettled issue. Most civil litigation attorneys will give you a free initial consultation so you have nothing to lose by consulting one. You might also try consulting the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) for help, too.

This assumes that you have already approached your principal and school board about the issue and they've not acted to help. If you haven't asked the principal and school board about it yet then that would be the first things you need to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If your parents are supportive, have you enlisted their help in addressing this issue w/admin and your teachers?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Don't want to assume but are you male to female or female to male? Cameron is a unisex name where I am.

ajkroy

Is there a nurse office closer with a bathroom you could use? This proves to be a pretty generic solution for schools with no or low protections for trans kids.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Don't want to assume but are you male to female or female to male? Cameron is a unisex name where I am.
In most groups I'm part of wrt trans issues (I have a trans daughter for those unaware), Cameron (as a name) skews towards FtM.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And...

Your school sucks.
I'll reserve judgment on the school until I know more about what efforts, if any, the OP has actually made with the school to point out the problems the OP is having. After all, if the school administration is not yet aware of the issue then it can hardly be blamed for failing to address it.

xylene

After all, if the school administration is not yet aware of the issue then it can hardly be blamed for failing to address it.
The school is quite certainly aware of the 'issue' by having a segregated trans bathroom policy.

That's why the school sucks. The policy itself, not the details thereof.

The school also sucks by having a student body of over 3000, but that's another issue.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The school is quite certainly aware of the 'issue' by having a segregated trans bathroom policy.

That's why the school sucks. The policy itself, not the details thereof.
Of course the details matter. You may choose to declare the school "sucks" on the basis of incomplete information, but I won't do that.

The school also sucks by having a student body of over 3000, but that's another issue.
A large high school is not necessarily a bad one. Again, the details matter.

xylene

Of course the details matter. You may choose to declare the school "sucks" on the basis of incomplete information, but I won't do that.
Dehumanizing and othering transgender students with an exclusionary restroom policy is wrong. Trans students free to use the bathroom as needed in their identified gender is the real and just solution, and the only one compatible with human rights. Sorry.

Extremely Large high schools (+2000 enrollment) are inherently problematic and create an instituational mentality that ignore the broader dehumanization effects of lack of community on young people. You are free to disagree.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Dehumanizing and othering transgender students with an exclusionary restroom policy is wrong. Trans students free to use the bathroom as needed in their identified gender is the real and just solution, and the only one compatible with human rights. Sorry.
You are entitled to your opinion on the matter. I don't agree that there is simply only one solution that must be imposed on everyone.

Extremely Large high schools (+2000 enrollment) are inherently problematic and create an instituational mentality that ignore the broader dehumanization effects of lack of community on young people. You are free to disagree.
I do not disagree. I don't think that it is automatic that such large schools are "inherently problematic". A lot depends on the details of how the school is set up. There are problems that occur with small schools too.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">