• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transportation benefits denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandrina_d

What is the name of your state? Malaysia

Hi, I'm at expat on a permanent contract. My contract says "Company X will pay the cost of packaging and transportation of your personal effects to Malaysia prior to or on commencement and to your Home Country on expiry of your service."
Being permanent staff, there is no expiry to my contract. Now I'm resigning, and they are refusing to pay for transportation to my home country (a service that I didn't even use from my home country on commencement of the job).
They say it is when THEY deem the service has ended, aka if they fire me? With the way it is phrased, can I argue with this?
For information, we are a group of people with the same contract, the 1st who resigned got the transportation paid for. For me it was denied, the company said they "made a mistake" with the 1st colleague.
Thanks

adjusterjack

I don't know anything about the laws of Malaysia (this is a US site) but that sentence looks like you would be entitled to the money.

I guess your recourse is to sue the company in Malaysia.

Sandrina_d

I don't know anything about the laws of Malaysia (this is a US site) but that sentence looks like you would be entitled to the money.

Thanks for your answer!
I know it is not the same law. Just wondering about the wording used in the contract.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This forum is for US law only. You should be speaking with an attorney who deals with such issues in your own country.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

See, it seems to me that his service is not "expiring", rather, it is ending based on the OP's choice.

Of course, this thread has nothing to do with US law, so it really doesn't matter ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">