• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transportation Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pj_57

What is the name of your state? Washington

My son's ex is refusing to pay half of the transportation costs as documented in the CO. What was agreed upon was that they split the costs for him to take the child to CA for visits twice a year. She didn't even respond to the first notification of visitation, therefore forfeited her first visit and now is threatening to take him to court because he hasn't brought the baby down to visit. He can't afford to pay for both flights, hotel and rental car. She says where they stay and how they get to the drop off is his problem. The CO states transportation costs and what was explained was all costs are considered "transportation costs". Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with this? She says she will take him back to court and put him in jail. Someone please help.:(

VeronicaGia

She's blowing smoke.

She's the one in violation of the CO, so why would she take this to court? She thinks he will go to jail because she violated the court order?

Also, your son should always notify her of visitation, transportation costs, etc., in a registered, certified letter, return receipt requested. Make sure he covers himself by being very specific, i.e., "as per our current court order dated ____, XX will be visiting you on ____dates. Also as per court order, your cost of the transportation costs are _____. This reimbursement must be received by me no later than ______."

You get the idea.

P

pj_57

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, she hasn't figured out yet that this isn't about her. We are holding out hope that one day she will grow up. Thanks again.:)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Does the order specify how long she has to reimburse him? And what the consequences are if she doesn't confirm or settle up? If he cancelled visitation due to her not replying or paying her share - he *may* be held in contempt. I personally think he has a case, but it depends how well hers is argued. I can say that I would never have the guts to refuse visitation simply on the basis of my ex not reimbursong me - and I've carried flight costs for 3 months at a stretch.

VeronicaGia

momma, I agree with you to a point, but he could argue that it is a hardship for him to have to foot the entire bill, especially since the CO is rather specific. Both could have good arguments, but it is he who is trying to hold up his end of the deal, not her.

PJ - make sure he covers himself in every way. Document, document, document. Have proof. Keep everything, including phone bills from long distance calls....everything you can think of that shows he is trying to foster the relationship but she is not complying with the order.

Also, on this website: www.deltabravo.net
there is a "parenting time tracker." It may be helpful if he keeps track of her visitation.

Best of luck.

P

pj_57

Thank you both for your input. She hasn't seen him since last Sept. 10th on his birthday and has only called him 6 times since then. The CO doesn't state a reimbursement time, just that she pay half the costs. We believe that to mean prior to the flight. We gave her 30 days notice (as is required in the CO) so she could pay her half 21 days in advance and she didn't respond. During her last call she acknowledged receipt of the letter and stated that she is only responsible for 1/2 of the child's fare. My son informed her that he will send her another letter for the second visitation with the costs, again 30 days in advance and she just wanted to yell. This time we will document and send registered. We don't know where she is living, but will send to the previous address. She is supposed to keep us informed of address changes also, fat chance. She moves more than the wind and changes "fiances" just as often. Oh well, thanks again for the advice.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">