• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trapped because of Established residency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luvrotts66

What is the name of your state? OHIO
I am currently living with my ex-boyfriend in a house that I rent, only my name is on the lease and I pay all the bills. I want him out and he refuses to leave, and there is no reasoning with him. I’ve changed the locks 3 times, he has the address on his drivers license so he just has a locksmith let him in. The police said he has established residency so I can’t make him leave. I don’t want to involve my landlord because I’m afraid if I do she’ll think I’m a troublemaker and evict me. I can’t afford to move (the last time I did he followed me anyway) and very few places let you have pets. Do I have any legal recourse to get him out of my house? I am praying you can help me, Thank you!

JETX

Since he has an 'established tenancy' you will need to proceed with full 'notice to vacate' and possible eviction proceedings against him.

"Notice required to terminate or change month-to-month tenancy: 30 days; Ohio Rev. Code Ann. 5321.17"

"Unconditional Quit Terminations: 3 days; Ohio Rev. Code Ann. §§ 1923.02 to 1923.04, 5321.17;
- Nonpayment of rent
- violation of a written lease or rental agreement
- when the landlord has "reasonable cause to believe" that tenant has used, sold or manufactured an illegal drug on the premises (conviction or arrest not required)

L

luvrotts66

Ohio

Thank you for your reply.
Can I still do this even though I am the tenant and not the landlord? If I go with the reasonable cause for illegal drugs won't that eventually result in a search warrant for my home and my being evicted as well?

JETX

Q1) "Can I still do this even though I am the tenant and not the landlord?"
A1) Yes. For all intents, he is a sublessee of your lease.

Q2) "If I go with the reasonable cause for illegal drugs won't that eventually result in a search warrant for my home and my being evicted as well?"
A2) Of course it would..... I would suggest you use some other (more practical) reason. I am sure that he has violated some other 'agreement' of tenancy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">