• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

travel expenses reimbursement from business contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LN59715

contract with a client had 2 payments, one for production services and one listed on the contract as Travel Expenses. Do I need to report the "Travel Expenses" payment?

Travel Expenses were calculated by a standard per mile charge and the total amount of travel expenses in the contract were not accounted for other than mileage.

State of Colorado

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
contract with a client had 2 payments, one for production services and one listed on the contract as Travel Expenses. Do I need to report the "Travel Expenses" payment?

Travel Expenses were calculated by a standard per mile charge and the total amount of travel expenses in the contract were not accounted for other than mileage.
What US state?
In the US, yes, you'd need to report it. The income would (should) be at least partially offset by the any expenses you claim. Please speak to a tax pro for assistance.

LdiJ

State of Colorado
You report the entire amount of money that you were paid. You then take the expenses and deduct them from that money. (assuming that you are self employed if you are not, the new taxes laws eliminated employee business expenses)

If you were paid 30 cents a mile by the contract, you still deduct the 54.5 cents per mile that the IRS allows.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">