• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel Time Compensation Between Jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spinningtrax

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hi,
I work for a business where I treat the elderly in their home. I'm paid as non-salaried and do get reimbursed for my travel time between visiting different homes during the day.

My agency sets up my schedule each week and sometimes the distance between two homes can take up to an hour to drive to (depending on traffic). I am paid for time between jobs only if the time between scheduled jobs is one hour or less.

So the agency often schedules appointments that are 1:15 or 1:30 in between on the agenda, but I don't get paid when driving between these two appointments even though there are some home that take me an hour to drive between.

But, it doesn't matter to them, as long as the gap in the schedule is more than 60 mins I don't get paid even if I spend 59 mins driving between two homes.

I feel like they are playing with the schedule just so they won't have to pay me for my travel time as often as possible.

I checked out the FLSA rules and, based on my own interpretation, it seems like I should be getting reimbursed if there's 75 mins between two scheduled appointments and I spend 60 of those 75 minutes driving between the appointments.

Am I correct?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you are. In fact, as far as I know (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) they must pay you for driving between "job site" no matter how long it takes - if it only takes five minutes you still have to be paid - if you are considered non-exempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">