• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Treated and paid for unneeded Dental Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leesa27

Florida
I went to The Dental Clinic for their Free Exam, cleaning and X-ray special. I told them I had Dental insurance which would pay for it, but they said, don’t worry , it’s Free. I always maintained a healthy dental regimen. I took them up on the offer. At the time of exam the Dentist/ hygienist exclaimed that I had severe gum disease and infections around several teeth. Upon charting my gums, they shouted the numbers across the room, with deep gum pocket recessed. I was shocked, and they scared me into a “deep cleaning and scaling” with antibiotic beads inserted into the infected gums and that this deep cleaning needed to Ben done ASAP. I did the treatment and was billed $577. I put the amount on a Dental,credit card. I also was told that I needed to buy and electric toothbrush, and antibiotic mouthwash. Alsotold id need these deep cleanings for the rest of my life, 2 to 3 times a year, cost $250. I couldn’t understand how my healthy teeth got so bad so quickly, so I went to a Periodontist for a second opinion l After an extensive exam and charting of my gum lines, he told me, in writing as well, that I have NO gum disease and that I have a very healthy mouth and teeth. I am seeking reinmbursment if $577. I have all the charts and records from both Dentists. I filed a dispute with The Credit Card but they found in dds favor. Shall I take them to small claims court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Florida
I went to The Dental Clinic for their Free Exam, cleaning and X-ray special. I told them I had Dental insurance which would pay for it, but they said, don’t worry , it’s Free. I always maintained a healthy dental regimen. I took them up on the offer. At the time of exam the Dentist/ hygienist exclaimed that I had severe gum disease and infections around several teeth. Upon charting my gums, they shouted the numbers across the room, with deep gum pocket recessed. I was shocked, and they scared me into a “deep cleaning and scaling” with antibiotic beads inserted into the infected gums and that this deep cleaning needed to Ben done ASAP. I did the treatment and was billed $577. I put the amount on a Dental,credit card. I also was told that I needed to buy and electric toothbrush, and antibiotic mouthwash. Alsotold id need these deep cleanings for the rest of my life, 2 to 3 times a year, cost $250. I couldn’t understand how my healthy teeth got so bad so quickly, so I went to a Periodontist for a second opinion l After an extensive exam and charting of my gum lines, he told me, in writing as well, that I have NO gum disease and that I have a very healthy mouth and teeth. I am seeking reinmbursment if $577. I have all the charts and records from both Dentists. I filed a dispute with The Credit Card but they found in dds favor. Shall I take them to small claims court?
You agreed to the treatment and the treatment was done. I don't see that you have any claim.

I have reported your post to have the identifying information removed...

quincy

There have been several lawsuits filed against Aspen in the past for exactly what you claim happened to you recently. I recommend you speak to a dental malpractice attorney in your area and proceed from there.

Zigner

Why would u report me? The CC card company suggests I sue
I reported your post because you identified the dental clinic, which is against the terms of this forum.
I saw your private message. While some members who post here are attorneys, the majority are not.
As to the credit card suggesting that you sue...that is understandable. They told you that you had no further recourse through them and the only further recourse you had was to sue. They weren't telling you that you had any case worth pursuing.

If you want to have any hope of winning in court, you are going to need to have expert testimony that the procedure was totally unnecessary. A written report won't cut it.

Zigner

There have been several lawsuits filed against Aspen in the past for exactly what you claim happened to you recently. I recommend you speak to a dental malpractice attorney in your area and proceed from there.
For $577 in fees that caused no damage to the OP?

Leesa27

Class action sounds plausible, do I have to pay legal fees with attorney general.? Thank you all for the advice. I can’t nite a lawyer for $577

quincy

Class action sounds plausible, do I have to pay legal fees with attorney general.? Thank you all for the advice. I can’t nite a lawyer for $577
The initial consultations with malpractice attorneys should be free. When calling to set up appointments, you should ask about fees.

Filing a complaint with the attorney general is free and can be done online.

Zigner

In fact, if the OP really wishes to argue $577 of damages in a medical malpractice case, then the OP really ought to be come thoroughly, even intimately, familiar with Title XLV, Chapter 766 of the Florida Statutes. That is the chapter that covers the requirements for pursuiing a medical malpractice claim.

Honestly, the OP paid $577 and came out with clean teeth. I'm not seeing the problem.

Mass_Shyster

Honestly, the OP paid $577 and came out with clean teeth. I'm not seeing the problem.
If you’ve ever had a deep cleaning and scaling, maybe you would see the problem. It is extremely painful. They numb you and dig between the teeth and gums. They give you pain meds afterwards and you end up unable to eat for several days. If I found out someone did that to me unnecessarily, I’d be pretty angry.

quincy

The fact that Aspen has been the subject of investigations by Attorneys General in several different states in the past over deceptive advertising and billing practices, and having no licensed dentists in the dental clinics - resulting in Aspen having to pay multimillion dollars in settlements and reimbursements to patients - is reason enough for Leesa to question the dental treatment she received at a cost of $577.

It is not the treatment cost itself that is the problem. Leesa was deceived into believing the treatment was necessary.

It is worth an attorney's personal review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">