• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree at property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DennisT

I live in California and have a tree just inside my fence. The branches grow over the fence, into my neighbor's yard.
I understand that my neighbor has the legal right to trim those branches, and I've given him my blessing to do that, but he throws the trimmings back over my fence and into my yard (rather passive-aggressive, I'd say). Can he do that?

Just Blue

I live in California and have a tree just inside my fence. The branches grow over the fence, into my neighbor's yard.
I understand that my neighbor has the legal right to trim those branches, and I've given him my blessing to do that, but he throws the trimmings back over my fence and into my yard (rather passive-aggressive, I'd say). Can he do that?
Yes he can. Not a big deal for you to pick up your branches...;)

bdancer

Can he? Yes, he's doing it. Should he? No. It may be your tree, but the limbs over the fence he trims are his to deal with.

The real question is do you want to go to war over a few crummy tree branch trimmings? Take the high road and let Karma take care of him.

Cedrus

Neighbor is not permitted to harm/kill your tree via improper pruning. Are there large stubs or very close cuts that will let rain start to rot the interior? Is there torn bark where a limb was cut and peeled off some bark as it fell?

If this is a tree you like, better keep an eye out or call an arborist to inspect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">