• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree on property line.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a tree where the trunk is half on my property and half on my neighbors property. I am going to remove it myself. I've seen on the internet that you need to get a signature from the neighbor that they agree with removing the tree because you both own the tree. On the internet they say you need the contract in writing for this situation, and I've also seen that a signature on a contract is legally binding on the internet. I was wondering if I would need a notary for this or is the signature fine for the court system?

I'm assuming if they don't like me or end up not liking me they could lie and say they didn't want the tree removed and seek compensation for the tree.

justalayman

A notary is a witness to the authenticity of the signature. It wouldn’t hurt given your concern the neighbor would later lie. It isn’t required

quincy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a tree where the trunk is half on my property and half on my neighbors property. I am going to remove it myself. I've seen on the internet that you need to get a signature from the neighbor that they agree with removing the tree because you both own the tree. On the internet they say you need the contract in writing for this situation, and I've also seen that a signature on a contract is legally binding on the internet. I was wondering if I would need a notary for this or is the signature fine for the court system?
I suggest you include in the agreement a clause on who will be responsible for cleanup and costs to repair landscaping damage should any damage be caused by the removal of the tree.

A dated and signed agreement is all that is necessary but notarizing the signatures (of all property owners) is added protection if you feel you need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">