• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree Removal Request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

The neighbor is now on notice about the tree.
On notice of what? "On notice about the tree"? I'm pretty sure they OP knew the tree was there before the neighbor pointed it out.

The original post tells us that the OP's neighbor "sent [the OP] a letter . . . to get it removed stating his concerns that if the tree falls it can lead to a dangerous situation such as property damage, auto damage or injury." In other words, the only thing that the OP's neighbor has put the OP on notice of is an unsubstantiated concern about some hypothetical possibility that is true of every tree. According to what the OP told us, the neighbor has not articulated any facts that would support a conclusion that the tree is anything but perfectly healthy. Putting someone on notice that you have a vague and unsubstantiated concern is not legally meaningful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
On notice of what? "On notice about the tree"? I'm pretty sure they OP knew the tree was there before the neighbor pointed it out.

The original post tells us that the OP's neighbor "sent [the OP] a letter . . . to get it removed stating his concerns that if the tree falls it can lead to a dangerous situation such as property damage, auto damage or injury." In other words, the only thing that the OP's neighbor has put the OP on notice of is an unsubstantiated concern about some hypothetical possibility that is true of every tree. According to what the OP told us, the neighbor has not articulated any facts that would support a conclusion that the tree is anything but perfectly healthy. Putting someone on notice that you have a vague and unsubstantiated concern is not legally meaningful.
I agree, and stated as much. However, I still believe that it's wise for the OP to seek a written opinion from an arborist showing that, at this point in time, the tree is healthy.

LdiJ

I agree, and stated as much. However, I still believe that it's wise for the OP to seek a written opinion from an arborist showing that, at this point in time, the tree is healthy.
And I still think its a total waste of money.

jendev

We got many estimates for tree pruning and tree removal. Pruning cost is between 1K to 1.5K and tree removal cost is between 3K to 4K. Both cost are significantly higher than we expected. We have been told by every tree company that the tree is healthy and suggested not to remove but just get the pruning done. There is one tree company that will complete the Pruning and provide a letter from certified arborist that the tree is healthy.

We understand that the letter from certified arborist may not apply for years in the future but doesn't it resolve the issue from the legal stand point that the letter was sent by the neighbor, concern was raised and we acted on it by getting the tree pruned and confirmed by certified arborist that the tree is healthy.

We are not going to reply to the letter irrespective of the steps taken from our end.

Also, tree was one of the buying point for us. Our house is surrounded by trees and we love it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We got many estimates for tree pruning and tree removal. Pruning cost is between 1K to 1.5K and tree removal cost is between 3K to 4K. Both cost are significantly higher than we expected. We have been told by every tree company that the tree is healthy and suggested not to remove but just get the pruning done. There is one tree company that will complete the Pruning and provide a letter from certified arborist that the tree is healthy.

We understand that the letter from certified arborist may not apply for years in the future but doesn't it resolve the issue from the legal stand point that the letter was sent by the neighbor, concern was raised and we acted on it by getting the tree pruned and confirmed by certified arborist that the tree is healthy.

We are not going to reply to the letter irrespective of the steps taken from our end.

Also, tree was one of the buying point for us. Our house is surrounded by trees and we love it.
There is no "issue from the legal stand point" here. You are under no legal obligation to act at this time. My personal opinion is that it would be wise to get such certification from an arborist, but I acknowledge and agree with the other responders' position that there is no legal requirement for you to do anything.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

There is no legal issue to resolve.

I would watch out. This neighbor might take the liberty of hiring someone to prune the tree to their taste. While they are legally allowed to prune on their side of the property line, if they can do so without endangering the tree's health, they are not allowed to do so on your side of the property line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">