• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trees on property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JPJ4201

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NY
I have a house in Kingston, NY (Ulster County). There is a large maple tree that grows on the border of the property. It appears to have originated on my side of the fence long before I was born and my neighbor complains that it is hanging over her house and should it fall, she will sue.
I hired an arborist for an opinion and he told me that what's on her side of the fence is hers and is her problem. If this tree should fall during a storm or for any other reason, can I be held liable? And who's insurance would the claim be made to? The tree is healthy but it does lean her way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">