• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tresspass? Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Declan

Hi all.

I'm in Pennsylvania. This past Friday, as on most days, my daughters boyfriend Sean, came to pick her up to take her to High School. My daughter is 18 and Sean is 17.

My neighbor from 2 doors up the street (1/4 mile) decided that the boyfriend was driving too fast (and probably was). After my daughter got in to Sean's car, they realized the neighbor had gotten into his truck, followed Sean down the street and drove down my driveway. He blocked Sean's car with his truck, got out (Sean did too) and the neighbor proceeded to scream at Sean inches from his face for several minutes. He screamed at my daughter too FWIW. From what I hear, the guy was a lunatic.

This guy is really big too. A big motorcycle gang looking guy with tattoos (not that this matters from a legal standpoint I guess).

I want to file a complaint with my local PD, but my daughter says not to. I don't even know if want he did was illegal, but I'd like to get it on the record in case it happens again.

Any advice?

Thanks.

quincy

Hi all.

I'm in Pennsylvania. This past Friday, as on most days, my daughters boyfriend Sean, came to pick her up to take her to High School. My daughter is 18 and Sean is 17.

My neighbor from 2 doors up the street (1/4 mile) decided that the boyfriend was driving too fast (and probably was). After my daughter got in to Sean's car, they realized the neighbor had gotten into his truck, followed Sean down the street and drove down my driveway. He blocked Sean's car with his truck, got out (Sean did too) and the neighbor proceeded to scream at Sean inches from his face for several minutes. He screamed at my daughter too FWIW. From what I hear, the guy was a lunatic.

This guy is really big too. A big motorcycle gang looking guy with tattoos (not that this matters from a legal standpoint I guess).

I want to file a complaint with my local PD, but my daughter says not to. I don't even know if want he did was illegal, but I'd like to get it on the record in case it happens again.

Any advice?

Thanks.
I would report the incident to the police.

quincy

Adult daughter and her BF are the ones who would report it...and daughter doesn't want to.
Ah. I reversed the boyfriend's age and daughter's age. But the fact that the daughter doesn't want to report the incident in Declan's driveway does not preclude Declan from reporting it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Kind of hard to credibly report something he didn't see. I wouldn't be surprised if the police didn't take that report. Sean should be the one to report it.

quincy

Kind of hard to credibly report something he didn't see. I wouldn't be surprised if the police didn't take that report. Sean should be the one to report it.
Any crime you hear about (or see or suspect) can be reported. The reports are not limited to personal experience.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sorry, I was looking at the situation through my NY glasses where none of it would be a crime.

quincy

Sorry, I was looking at the situation through my NY glasses where none of it would be a crime.
I don't know whether a crime was committed or not. But if the neighbor is following the boyfriend in his car and confronting the daughter and her boyfriend on Declan's property, there is some cause for concern.

The police report can be helpful. The police might be able to prevent a dangerous escalation by speaking to all involved - and the report is record of the dispute if later there is need for it.

quincy

It sounds similar to road rage. You never want to engage with an unhinged driver (or unhinged anyone). I agree that calling 911 is the smart action to take.

Eekamouse

I don't. I think OP ought to talk to her daughter's bf about not speeding on a residential street where there are families that have children who could wind up being hit by a teen age idiot with his brand new license. I also don't think anyone is giving any thought to the justification of this resident who doesn't want a reckless kid to act stupid behind the wheel in his neighborhood. The guy probably could have handled it better but I understand why he was upset.

LdiJ

I don't. I think OP ought to talk to her daughter's bf about not speeding on a residential street where there are families that have children who could wind up being hit by a teen age idiot with his brand new license. I also don't think anyone is giving any thought to the justification of this resident who doesn't want a reckless kid to act stupid behind the wheel in his neighborhood. The guy probably could have handled it better but I understand why he was upset.

I don't disagree with your sympathies, but following someone down a driveway and blocking them from leaving (and then screaming at them) is way over the top...seriously over the top. Particularly if that person is a minor.

I would have gotten the kid's license plate and called the cops if I was that concerned about his driving.

Eekamouse

I don't disagree with your sympathies, but following someone down a driveway and blocking them from leaving (and then screaming at them) is way over the top...seriously over the top. Particularly if that person is a minor.

I would have gotten the kid's license plate and called the cops if I was that concerned about his driving.
Cops generally don't do anything when you call them with friendly little tidbits like that. If it was me, I would have calmed down and then gone to talk to the homeowner and let them know my concerns about their daughter's bf and his crap driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">