• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tresspass? Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Maybe but it wasn't without provocation that he acted out of line. That's all I'm saying.
I understood why you said what you said. :)

It is just very unwise for someone to confront another driver when it is easy to dial 911 and get assistance.

This incident could have ended badly for the drivers and the daughter. Thank goodness this did not escalate to physical violence and that no one had a weapon.

Declan

I don't. I think OP ought to talk to her daughter's bf about not speeding on a residential street where there are families that have children who could wind up being hit by a teen age idiot with his brand new license. I also don't think anyone is giving any thought to the justification of this resident who doesn't want a reckless kid to act stupid behind the wheel in his neighborhood. The guy probably could have handled it better but I understand why he was upset.
What are you talking about??? You're making A LOT of assumptions there.

Do you know how fast he was going? I don't. What if he was doing 32 mph in a 25 (everybody does at least that)? How about 40 MPH? Would that be enough justify this guy doing what he did? The guy acted as a vigilante. You're assuming this guy is a normal guy pissed off at a teen driving like a maniac. Did you ever think that might not be the case? I think the fact that Sean has a somewhat loud exhaust (WAY below legal limits) on his Cadillac had more to do with it.

It's also possible that my neighbor is a nut (which is why I'm here). What if it escalates? He scared the crap out of my daughter, who remember is in High School (yes, I know she's an adult).

My point is, whatever Sean did didn't justify my neighbor following him down MY driveway and bringing MY family into it. He blocked my daughter from getting to school. That alone should be illegal.

I didn't mention that this is all on video. Sean has a dashcam and the door was open so the audio is there too.

Last edited:

quincy

Declan, please remove the first sentence from your post and review the IMPORTANT NOTICE at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

You can - and your daughter can and the boyfriend can - report the incident with the neighbor to the police.

You would be smart to discuss with your daughter and her boyfriend the best ways to handle out-of-control individuals.

It is NOT safe to confront an angry person, whether on the road or in a driveway.

The boyfriend should have remained in his car and a call should have been made to the police.

Your daughter and her boyfriend were lucky, as was the neighbor.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What are you talking about??? You're making A LOT of assumptions there.

Do you know how fast he was going? I don't. What if he was doing 32 mph in a 25 (everybody does at least that)? How about 40 MPH? Would that be enough justify this guy doing what he did? The guy acted as a vigilante. You're assuming this guy is a normal guy pissed off at a teen driving like a maniac. Did you ever think that might not be the case? I think the fact that Sean has a somewhat loud exhaust (WAY below legal limits) on his Cadillac had more to do with it.

It's also possible that my neighbor is a nut (which is why I'm here). What if it escalates? He scared the crap out of my daughter, who remember is in High School (yes, I know she's an adult).

My point is, whatever Sean did didn't justify my neighbor following him down MY driveway and bringing MY family into it. He blocked my daughter from getting to school. That alone should be illegal.

I didn't mention that this is all on video. Sean has a dashcam and the door was open so the audio is there too.
Perhaps trusted adult can discuss with Sean the possible consequences of knowingly driving car with such a problem.

While I think the neighbor wasn't acting rationally, Sean was potentially escalating the situation by getting out of the car.

Additionally, speeding in a residential area at a time of day when children are going to school is dangerous. It is wise to try especially hard to abide by the speed limit in those areas at a time of day where children might be likely waiting at bus stops. Like, potentially, the angry neighbor's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">