• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trial over ..we keep custody ...now some questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamadi

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Whew !! Trial over ................! I haven't been on the forum in a couple of months in trying to keep mind clear for trial that was held in November.

Background info ........ husband had temp. custody of his two kids since May 2002... their mother moves with boyfriend to NY in Oct. 2003.....husband files for perm custody in summer 2003 -- mother fights for custody also............ results: we get permanent custody of children.

Now $5,000 Later ......(not to mention an outstanding balance of $3400) ....... we have a couple of questions.

Traveling .. the mother has always driven down here to get children on her visitation dates (since moving to NY). Sometimes she would take them back to NY if it was a long visitation period, sometimes they would stay in the area (her boyfriends parents live nearby). Now, we may be the ones to have to share driving responsibilities. Is this normal ??? We may have to drive one way at Christmas , spring break, and summer visitation times.

**papers are not completed yet so we're not sure how this issue is going to pan out.

The driving doesn't bother us but the expense is ridiculous. For example, we just drove kids to Buffalo this weekend. The roads were hell (snow, ice etc) something we are not use to. It cost us $60 in gas $30 in food and $40 for a hotel (the roads were so bad we had to stop to sleep because we were behind in our time schedule) we had to stop on the way to buy new wiper blades, etc. Not an easy trip to make --especially in the winter.

We don't mind sharing the driving responsibilities but is it possible to atleast get the expenses covered by the mother (she is the one that moved )

My husband receives $160 per month in child support. This two day trip to deliver the children pretty much ate up this months child support.

If anyone has any similiar experience with this please advise. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

mamadi

C

christinaylor

First of all, congrats on winning custody of your kiddos!
Next, I am moving from GA to WA soon. I understand that because I am the one causing the travel to be done, I am responsible for the expense. I think that since the children's mother is the party who moved, she will probably be responsible for at least half, but more likely, all of the expense...But I'm certainly no attorney! Good luck..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">