• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trial with small town over parking variance. Now looking to appeal.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viper6383

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

1.5yrs ago, my small town decided to hire a code officer. I have 2 smaller semi trailers parked in a residential area. She said they are "commercial". I protested because commercial refers to commerce in the code book and I can prove otherwise. Anyway, I decided to be civil and file for a "variance" per their recommendation in which I told them I would eventually move them. I was given a 1yr variance. Inside the year, those trailers moved, but I had some others parked here about the time of the "ticket".

FF to court. Ticket had some jacked up number on it that was later determined to be the variance number. The judge, nor I, knew what that was but the clerk said it refers to some other ordinance number that he proceeded to charge me with, which was actually for illegally parking in the street. I knew I was innocent of it so I set it for trial. As the trial proceeded, the prosecution decided they were not going to win with that so went back to the original numbers on the ticket saying "trailer were not removed in proper amount of time" and proceeded to just amend the prosecutions charge ordinance like no biggy.

I objected to their instant change of stand on the issue and told them "was defending against the charges I was told by the judge I was charged with". I then had no opportunity to litigate from that side and judge just said "guilty" because he wanted to go home.

Courts and code officer do NOT have any way to verify the trailers in the variance were the ones parked there at the time of the ticket. They were not. There is also no way for them to prove commercial use. But more importantly, I was ticked to see how the judge and prosecution easily just changed things around despite my objection of being told I was charged with one thing, then another, while at trial.

I gave them the finger and looking to appeal in district court without a crooked judge. I am curious about the process, and what angle I should consider? I know the code officer may not be employed there much longer in which that might be a win. I would like to file subpoenas on the city, code witch, prosecution files, code witch's itinerary at that time, and interrogatories. I would also like to ask the court for my fine reimbursement and lost wages.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

1.5yrs ago, my small town decided to hire a code officer. I have 2 smaller semi trailers parked in a residential area. She said they are "commercial". I protested because commercial refers to commerce in the code book and I can prove otherwise. Anyway, I decided to be civil and file for a "variance" per their recommendation in which I told them I would eventually move them. I was given a 1yr variance. Inside the year, those trailers moved, but I had some others parked here about the time of the "ticket".

FF to court. Ticket had some jacked up number on it that was later determined to be the variance number. The judge, nor I, knew what that was but the clerk said it refers to some other ordinance number that he proceeded to charge me with, which was actually for illegally parking in the street. I knew I was innocent of it so I set it for trial. As the trial proceeded, the prosecution decided they were not going to win with that so went back to the original numbers on the ticket saying "trailer were not removed in proper amount of time" and proceeded to just amend the prosecutions charge ordinance like no biggy.

I objected to their instant change of stand on the issue and told them "was defending against the charges I was told by the judge I was charged with". I then had no opportunity to litigate from that side and judge just said "guilty" because he wanted to go home.

Courts and code officer do NOT have any way to verify the trailers in the variance were the ones parked there at the time of the ticket. They were not. There is also no way for them to prove commercial use. But more importantly, I was ticked to see how the judge and prosecution easily just changed things around despite my objection of being told I was charged with one thing, then another, while at trial.

I gave them the finger and looking to appeal in district court without a crooked judge. I am curious about the process, and what angle I should consider? I know the code officer may not be employed there much longer in which that might be a win. I would like to file subpoenas on the city, code witch, prosecution files, code witch's itinerary at that time, and interrogatories. I would also like to ask the court for my fine reimbursement and lost wages.
Wow, didn't see this coming! :rolleyes:

(Posting Hx folks)

viper6383

This whole deal would have went much better if I would not have tried to be cordial and apply for a variance. Fighting the claim of "commercial vehicle" is much easier as their own code book supported my case but I tried to play nice.

Thanks for the help and support.

OHRoadwarrior

The facts aren't relevant. The law is absolute. You are guilty of violating the variance by continuing to park commercial trailers past the time of your variance period.

latigo

No more, please! I can't bear the inhumanity. Its just too, too barbaric.

viper6383

Appeal filed with district. Subpoena served to municipal prosecutor. City has now motioned to withdraw and called to let me know that even though they have a laundry list of procedural errors and EVEN convicted on those errors, they realize they have no case.

So I technically won my case no problem but I will will not produce my file for the governor's office to request a probe into the competency of my small city. When the whole city is corrupt, there is an issue...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">