• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TRIAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jen

My ex has just been arrested for violation of probation today. He had been in violation for about a year with several opportunities from the courts to come up with restitution payments from a felony charge. Today he did not make the payment required again and this time the arrested him.

They sent him to rykers island until his trial next week unless he comes up with bail. My question is; I think this trial is for sentencing, can he still be set free or once arrested and forwarned by the courts thats it in jail for a year???? Can he still be set free or not???

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited February 10, 2000).]

B

Bill Benson

I'm confused. He was picked up for parole violation and taken back to jail. That makes sense.

The "trial" is probably a hearing on the parole violation. If he has no defense he's probably going to be returned and kept in jail for the remainder of his original sentence. Or is this a new offense?

J

Jen

He commited a crime 3 years ago and and was released with 5 years probation and to make restitution of $47,000.00 with in the 5 years or he goes to jail for one year. that was the originally agreement.

since then he had not been making the payments like he was suppose to and has had several court apperances to discuss the matter. In Nov is made a payment to the courts and they told him they want to see in on Feb 9, with the same amount of money or more. He went yesterday but did not have even half the amount of money from Nov. So they had enough and have given him 4 chances before this Feb date and see that he is not sticking to his end and put him in jail for violation of this order. now a trial has been set for next week for sentencing. If he comes up with some more money will they release him and put him back on a payment plan or once a judge orders him to jail for 1 year is that it.....will the courts change there mind or stick to this new decision of putting him in jail?

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited February 10, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">