• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tricky Lease inquiry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coolway

Here's the issues:
First, my 1 yr lease expired September 30th, 2000.I kept on paying the rent on the first as usual.
However,there is no provision in it for conversion to month to month. Nor is there a renew option.
On 11/06/2000 i received a letter stating the house is
for sale and till it is sold, we will adopt a month to month
status.
Questions: If i have not signed or agreed to a month to month lease, is it assumed because I keep paying the rent
that such an agreement exists ?
Do i even have a legal lease obligation at this point ?
The original lease was 60 days notice. Is it now 30 days ?

D

David J. Miller

Since you did not tell us what state you live in it would be difficult to say for sure but in most states yours would be considered a month-to-month and you would be bound by the statutory laws concerning month-month tenancy which ususally requires 30 days notice by both parties. In other words, you probably do have a legal lease obligation according to your states L/T laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">