• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tricky ? on Colorado Breaks and Lunches laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edlphotographic

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

I work mainly in Colorado, although I have traveled to Mt, Wy, Nm, Nebraska, Ks, and a couple other states. I know Colorado law states that basically employees receive two 10 minute paid breaks and one 30 min unpaid lunch break. However my employer pays a base pay of $50 a day plus commission not an hourly rate. Most days I am scheduled 7 hours a day, however if there is less work, I am able to leave early. Some days I work 10 hours depends on how many people show up, and if I am setting up or tearing down equipment. I have never had a scheduled break or lunch break. I've worked for this business for 2 years and a month. 2 years is the limit on receiving back pay so I'd like to know if this is a violation of the laws or not? And if I could file a claim?
Thanks
Eirick

justalayman

did you get to eat at all when you worked over 6 hours?

and, does you type of emplyment fall with one of these catagories?

retail trade, food and beverage, public housekeeping, medical profession, beauty service, laundry and dry cleaning, and janitorial service industries.

edlphotographic

did you get to eat at all when you worked over 6 hours?
If I can grab something between customers. Sometimes I'm so busy, I can't take a bathroom break.

and, does you type of emplyment fall with one of these catagories?

retail trade, food and beverage, public housekeeping, medical profession, beauty service, laundry and dry cleaning, and janitorial service industries.
Not sure I'm a photographer for a national company. So I'm not sure if that falls into retail or not.
Thanks
Eirick

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">