• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tried As An Adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I am 16 years old and was arrested for Burglary, robbery and assault and battery. I have been assigned a court appointed attorney. I am current in YDC. I have attended a pre-trail hearing in which the judge said I will be tried as an adult. I will turn 17 December of this year. My court appointed attorney has not met with me nor my mother to talk about the case. I do not know what to do at this time. My mother can not afford an attorney unless she can pay by the month. Any advise would be greatly appreicated. Thanks


Under the Radar Member
My advice? Wait for your C-A attorney to meet with you. Don't expect Mom to pay for your idiocy. Unless you have the means to pay her back.


Wait until your court appointed attorney meets with you and follow the rules of where you are now.

My advise is to always man (or woman) up to your mistakes and make the rest of your life mean something more than the first sixteen years. The charges you are facing are not some misguided youthful adventure, rather serious crimes against society, and you need to be tried as an adult because at sixteen you knew what was right and what was wrong, but chose to do the wrong thing.
No. At 16 you never want to be tried as an adult. You need to stay out of trouble and wait to talk to a public defender. Don't open your mouth to the police or the DA, except to ask for a lawyer.

Were others also arrested? What ages?
Were you on probation at the time?

Hopefully you won't see the same Judge.

Just a bit of advice: Unless you like spending most of the rest of your life behind bars, stop committing crimes.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential