• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble Canceling Gym Membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjfont

I live in Alabama. I just canceled my gym membership today, Feb 14th. According to the policy, as well as what is stated in the contract, I must cancel my membership before the 10th in order to avoid being charged for another month of membership services. I will be charged on the 17th for a month of membership that begins on the 17th and ends on March 16th. Can they force me to buy another month of membership?

Just Blue

I live in Alabama. I just canceled my gym membership today, Feb 14th. According to the policy, as well as what is stated in the contract, I must cancel my membership before the 10th in order to avoid being charged for another month of membership services. I will be charged on the 17th for a month of membership that begins on the 17th and ends on March 16th. Can they force me to buy another month of membership?
They can't force you "to buy" another month...but the contract (per your minimal information in the opening post) seems to allow for them to charge you for another month. You should take the contract to an attorney so they may advise you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They can't force you "to buy" another month...but the contract (per your minimal information in the opening post) seems to allow for them to charge you for another month. You should take the contract to an attorney so they may advise you.
While I generally agree that consulting with an attorney is a wise move when reviewing a contract that one does not understand (etc.), in this case the OP is going to find it cheaper and easier to simply pay the one month and be done with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">