• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

truck in driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr.molasses

i live in chester county pa my step dad passed and my mom was not married to him his family wants his truck and every thing he owns mostly his crazy parents but they have not picked the truck up so is there a law that if it is in the driveway for a while that we own it? because its just been sitting here and we need to sell are house and move.

quincy

i live in chester county pa my step dad passed and my mom was not married to him his family wants his truck and every thing he owns mostly his crazy parents but they have not picked the truck up so is there a law that if it is in the driveway for a while that we own it? because its just been sitting here and we need to sell are house and move.
In whose name is the car titled?

There is no law that says what is left in your driveway belongs to you.

justalayman

You can report it as an abandoned vehicle and have it towed away. You might give the guys family and let them know they have a very limited time to remove it before you report it abandoned and have it removed.

quincy

mr.molasses should send notice to the family of the deceased first, giving them a deadline date for picking up the truck.

adjusterjack

I think Mr Molasses (or Mom) should load up the truck with step dad's clothing and personal belongings, drive the truck to the parents' house, leave the truck with the keys and the title and have somebody drive him (or Mom) home.

And if he wants to know why he (or Mom) should have to do all that, well, here's the answer:

we need to sell are house and move

LdiJ

Not a bad idea if the truck is insured, and mom or Mr.Molasses are insured, and the mom is not on a truck loan.
I agree, but its a bad idea if the truck is not insured...even if mom isn't on the loan.

adjusterjack

Might be worth the cost of a tow just to get out from under a bad situation rather than let it fester until the trouble gets more costly.

quincy

Mr.Molasses should provide written notice to the family before towing the vehicle so the family has the opportunity to get the truck first.

mr.molasses

Mr.Molasses should provide written notice to the family before towing the vehicle so the family has the opportunity to get the truck first.
I never got alerts though email Ok so truck is uninsured and does not run but I could fix it and this truck would be helpful to us to move and my stepdad son was gonna give it to his sister but I guess that's not happening anyway the truck is 2001 chevy s10 with 260 000 miles of it and the truck is in my step dad's name and we don't have the money to tow it out or fix it

justalayman

I never got alerts though email Ok so truck is uninsured and does not run but I could fix it and this truck would be helpful to us to move and my stepdad son was gonna give it to his sister but I guess that's not happening anyway the truck is 2001 chevy s10 with 260 000 miles of it and the truck is in my step dad's name and we don't have the money to tow it out or fix it
You do realize you stated both that you could fix the truck and use it AND you don’t have the money to fix the truck in that same post, right?

From the best i can ascertain from your states laws you can call the police and have them tag the vehicle as abandoned. Then you can call a salvage company and offer to allow them to tow it away. I do not believe you would have to pay to have it towed as the salvage company can recover the costs of towing and storage from the owner if they reclaim it or from selling it if it isn’t reclaimed.

Again, you should provide notice to the family of the decedent and allow them a limited time to remove it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">