• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truck & Trailer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?TX

My husband and I are retired. We own a fifth-wheel trailer and truck and have had it for sale on the internet for over a year. The combined price for both is $62,000. We have recently had email from a women representing her parents, who are interested in both items. She called us on Sunday and said her father is a chaplain in the military and they are currently out of the country but will be back soon. She told us that they had a trailer and truck very similar to ours when they were in San Antonio, TX, but it was stolen and they are waiting for the insurance company to settle with them, which should be in about 120 days. They want to know if we will let them make payments to us until they receive their money. They need it to live in when they get back. They said they would keep the insurance, etc. on it in our name. We're leerie, to say the least, about doing a sale this way for many reasons. However, they have offered to have their attorney write up an agreement. Once they get their money from the insurance they will pay cash. We would like to sell, but not sure this is the way to go with it. We still have a lein with the bank for both items. If they take possession and just take off, we're SOL! Right?

Thanks. Would really appreciate some solid advice on this.

You Are Guilty

DId I correctly read that you have an attorney and he/she is letting you keep the insurance in your name but give the truck/trailer to the buyers?

You do realize the consequences of doing that, right?

If you really want to deliver possession before the title, I'd make the buyers responsible for securing and maintaining significant insurance coverage part of the contract.

No, we don't have an attorney. The people that want to buy it have offered to have their attorney write up an agreement.

We told the daughter when she called that her parents need to come down here to TX and see what they would be buying, but she said they don't need to.

We would like to sell it, but so far, this doesn't sound like a good idea. These people may be on the up-and-up, but nowadays---who knows??!

Happy Trails

retiredbaker said:
What is the name of your state?TX

My husband and I are retired. We own a fifth-wheel trailer and truck and have had it for sale on the internet for over a year. The combined price for both is $62,000. We have recently had email from a women representing her parents, who are interested in both items. She called us on Sunday and said her father is a chaplain in the military and they are currently out of the country but will be back soon. She told us that they had a trailer and truck very similar to ours when they were in San Antonio, TX, but it was stolen and they are waiting for the insurance company to settle with them, which should be in about 120 days. They want to know if we will let them make payments to us until they receive their money. They need it to live in when they get back. They said they would keep the insurance, etc. on it in our name. We're leerie, to say the least, about doing a sale this way for many reasons. However, they have offered to have their attorney write up an agreement. Once they get their money from the insurance they will pay cash. We would like to sell, but not sure this is the way to go with it. We still have a lein with the bank for both items. If they take possession and just take off, we're SOL! Right?

Thanks. Would really appreciate some solid advice on this.

**I would be very skeptical. Sounds like you could be getting set up for a 'Nigeria' scam.

Thanks for the input. We are not going to let our property go unless it is "cash" in some form or another for the FULL amount.

I will email the daughter and tell her that, if and when, her parents get their "settlement" and they are still interested, we will talk then.

Thanks again. :) ;)

Happy Trails

retiredbaker said:
Thanks for the input. We are not going to let our property go unless it is "cash" in some form or another for the FULL amount.

I will email the daughter and tell her that, if and when, her parents get their "settlement" and they are still interested, we will talk then.

Thanks again. :) ;)
**And if you get a money order of any sort give it plenty of time to clear. If they ask you to forward some money to their lawyer; then you know they are trying to scam you. Read the following post and you will know what I mean: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=193982

JETX

retiredbaker said:
If they take possession and just take off, we're SOL! Right?
Yep. Suggest to them that they take out a short term loan and pay you in FULL. Then repay their loan with the proceeds of their insurance.

I would NOT let them take the vehicle without payment in full, or at least an 'assignment of benefit' from their insurance company to you.... on their insurance company letterhead (and a verified call to their office).

Thanks for all the great advice! I emailed the daughter today and told her we had spoken to a "lawyer" today and his advice was--don't do it! I told her if her parents wanted to speak with us when they return to this country, we would be glad to talk to them, however, we could not let our T & T go unless it was completely paid for. We'll see if we hear anything else from her. BTW, she said her father was on assignment with the Air Force under article DD2088. Anybody know what that is?

BTW, she said her father was on assignment with the Air Force under article DD2088. Anybody know what that is?

How is that relevant?

JETX

retiredbaker said:
BTW, she said her father was on assignment with the Air Force under article DD2088.
The DD 2088 classification is a 'STATEMENT OF ECCLESIASTICAL ENDORSEMENT' and can be found at:
http://www.dior.whs.mil/forms/DD2088.PDF

It is used to declare Religious Ministry Professionals for initial appointment or chaplains change of career status appointments as chaplains in the Military Service. By 'invoking' that form, she is saying that her father is a Ministry Professional..... and thereby should be trusted. And of course, that may be true.... or may be BS.

Last edited:
John---

I'm not sure that it is relevant. However, that's what she said was the reason she was contacting us instead of her parents---he is a chaplain with the Air Force and is out of the country on a DD 2088 assignment. That's all. :)

Happy Trails

retiredbaker said:
John---

I'm not sure that it is relevant. However, that's what she said was the reason she was contacting us instead of her parents---he is a chaplain with the Air Force and is out of the country on a DD 2088 assignment. That's all. :)
**Have you checked out the link I provided? There are many red flags in your initial post that makes me question if it is a legitimate prospective sale.

Parents are out of country.
The 120 days for their insurance to pay.
The fact they don't need to see the truck or trailer.

Makes me think they aren't interested in the goods you have for sale. The chaplain thing, seems to me, she is trying to insure you they are totally on the up and up (religious and in the Air Force). It appears to me that it is a possible set up.

When she suggests making payments to you I feel she will try to get you to forward some money to the 'lawyer'. Then you will find out that the money order she sent you is bogus (but your bank will show it cleared only to find out later that it was a fake) but the money order you sent to the lawyer will be real. Leaving you on the hook for the missing money.

I hope this is not the case, but you need to be informed there are people out there that are good at these scams. It is happening all the time.

Seller beware.

Yup--all those things you mentioned raised red flags with us, too, hence, the inquiry on this site. We have nipped it in the bud and are no longer "negotiating" with her.

Thanks for all the help. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">