• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trump and the Bill of Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

A draft of a new executive order has been released that applies to all legal residents and legal immigrants:

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7872571/Protecting_Taxpayer_Resources_by_Ensuring_Our_Immigration_Laws_Promote_Accountability_and_Responsibility.0.pdf

It is not based on fact but rather has inflammatory rhetoric.
I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly but I thought I saw where it said it actually amended current law. While an EO can do many things, including directives as to how a law may be implemented, can an EO legally amend a law?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
A draft of a new executive order has been released that applies to all legal residents and legal immigrants:

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7872571/Protecting_Taxpayer_Resources_by_Ensuring_Our_Immigration_Laws_Promote_Accountability_and_Responsibility.0.pdf

It is not based on fact but rather has inflammatory rhetoric.
Oh my God.

I feel sick.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly but I thought I saw where it said it actually amended current law. While an EO can do many things, including directives as to how a law may be implemented, can an EO legally amend a law?
It should NOT be able to do so but what do I know. And just to let you all know, I won't be around for the next two weeks or so. I am leaving the country. Literally.

Let's hope I get back in.

westside

Because we want our nation to be made up of an educated populace. It is one of the reasons why we pay taxes to educated everyone.
Well, we've made quite the hash of it, haven't we? Perhaps someone who looks at things a bit differently could possibly not be a horrible idea.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, we've made quite the hash of it, haven't we? Perhaps someone who looks at things a bit differently could possibly not be a horrible idea.
You realize that Betty DeVos wants to introduce Christian fundamentalism teaching to schools? You get that right?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Well, we've made quite the hash of it, haven't we?
Amongst other things, yup.

Perhaps someone who looks at things a bit differently could possibly not be a horrible idea.
I seem to be experiencing deja vu. Isn't that what brought us to this point in the first place?

LdiJ

All immigrants are apparently receiving financial assistance. They are the largest group. This is a draft... but the fact that this draft exists...
He actually thinks that 100 billion is being spent on financial assistance for immigrants? That the US is going to save 100 billion by taking away benefits from illegal aliens and refugees? The entire federal budget for welfare programs in 2015 was 362 billion. The population of the US is 318,900,000. with only about 12 million illegal immigrants and only about 70,000 refugees. How in the world does he think that 4% of the potential population is using 28% of the welfare budget? That makes absolutely no sense. There isn't 100 billion to save!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
(I couldn't get the link to work)

And stepping back to Betsy Devos for a moment, there are REPUBLICAN Senators who are stating they will not confirm her. Please explain how that represents a tantrum by the left.

And while we're at it, please explain why the GOP refusing to even consider any Supreme Court nominee President Obama presented, when he still had a year of his presidency to go, didn't represent a tantrum by the right. Or is it okay when it benefits your side?

ETA: You know, I'm not a hard-core liberal. I'm actually more of a centrist, and I lean left on some issues and right on the others. But from my position in the center, I see no qualification for Trump to be president and few qualifications on many of his Cabinet picks. Not all of them; there are some I have no quarrel with. But it astounds me that these things can't be seen from the far right. Too many trees in the way, maybe?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
(I couldn't get the link to work)

And stepping back to Betsy Devos for a moment, there are REPUBLICAN Senators who are stating they will not confirm her. Please explain how that represents a tantrum by the left.

And while we're at it, please explain why the GOP refusing to even consider any Supreme Court nominee President Obama presented, when he still had a year of his presidency to go, didn't represent a tantrum by the right. Or is it okay when it benefits your side?

ETA: You know, I'm not a hard-core liberal. I'm actually more of a centrist, and I lean left on some issues and right on the others. But from my position in the center, I see no qualification for Trump to be president and few qualifications on many of his Cabinet picks. Not all of them; there are some I have no quarrel with. But it astounds me that these things can't be seen from the far right. Too many trees in the way, maybe?
Both those Republican Senators have accepted money from the NEA, so they are beholden to the teachers' unions.

I'm a libertarian, so not sure where you're going with the trees comment. :cool:

justalayman

That's why this whole situation is so mind boggling. Trump is surrounding himself with unqualified people (his inner circle moreso than cabinet members). It's the blind leading the blind.

Did anybody read his stupid remark about sending the US military into Mexico? I hope it was more of a kidding sort of statement but seeing how Trump is, I'm not really sure he wasn't serious at some level.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
That's why this whole situation is so mind boggling. Trump is surrounding himself with unqualified people (his inner circle moreso than cabinet members). It's the blind leading the blind.

Did anybody read his stupid remark about sending the US military into Mexico? I hope it was more of a kidding sort of statement but seeing how Trump is, I'm not really sure he wasn't serious at some level.
I can't keep track of his mind-boggling stupidity; you'll have to be more specific.

justalayman

I can't keep track of his mind-boggling stupidity; you'll have to be more specific.
This was the original story i read;

www.google.com/amp/s/apnews.com/amp/0b3f5db59b2e4aa78cdbbf008f27fb49

But the pres of Mexico has since said trump didn't say that:

www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-trump-20170201-story,amp.html

I am curious where the story came from if he didn't say it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">