• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trumpcare and No More Overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? All

American Health Care Act -- aka Trumpcare. The prior version which was not as bad as this one had the CBO stating it would save $3 BILLION due to DEATH of individuals early (prior to the average age of death). This one the CBO didn't finish their report.

Pre-existing conditions will result in premiums being raised extraordinarily (in the thousands) and the things being considered pre-existing? Rape. Sexual assault. Domestic violence. Anxiety. Obesity. Ulcers. Dental work. I can keep going. Sherrod Brown, Senator of Ohio, posted a partial list.

Oh and if you have insurance through your employer? Don't think you are safe. The bill allegedly removes some of the protections.

Overtime -- another Trump thing. If you work overtime to pay your bills, you may find yourself getting only PTO. And it may not be your choice. So consider -- your child support is based upon you working 10 hours a week overtime. Your salary is now going to decrease by that amount because your employer can just decide -- nope, not paying you time and a half. You get 10 hours paid off. If lucky, 15 for time-and-a-half. There are drawbacks. It is NOT mandated to be at the choice of the employee. So the employer could dictate. Your income decreases for the year.

Those are the two things that have come out of this administration.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? All

American Health Care Act -- aka Trumpcare. The prior version which was not as bad as this one had the CBO stating it would save $3 BILLION due to DEATH of individuals early (prior to the average age of death). This one the CBO didn't finish their report.

Pre-existing conditions will result in premiums being raised extraordinarily (in the thousands) and the things being considered pre-existing? Rape. Sexual assault. Domestic violence. Anxiety. Obesity. Ulcers. Dental work. I can keep going. Sherrod Brown, Senator of Ohio, posted a partial list.

Oh and if you have insurance through your employer? Don't think you are safe. The bill allegedly removes some of the protections.

Overtime -- another Trump thing. If you work overtime to pay your bills, you may find yourself getting only PTO. And it may not be your choice. So consider -- your child support is based upon you working 10 hours a week overtime. Your salary is now going to decrease by that amount because your employer can just decide -- nope, not paying you time and a half. You get 10 hours paid off. If lucky, 15 for time-and-a-half. There are drawbacks. It is NOT mandated to be at the choice of the employee. So the employer could dictate. Your income decreases for the year.

Those are the two things that have come out of this administration.

The good news is that the Senate will not let this bill go all the way.

The bad news is that the Senate will not let this bill go all the way ... but will instead put their collective minds together (!) and formulate their own version which will, of course, then get tossed back to the House. Rinse, repeat ad nauseum.

(Is nausea pre-existing?!)

justalayman

The overtime issue is the employees choice.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr1180/summary?utm_campaign=govtrack_email_update&utm_source=govtrack/email_update&utm_medium=email

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The good news is that the Senate will not let this bill go all the way.

The bad news is that the Senate will not let this bill go all the way ... but will instead put their collective minds together (!) and formulate their own version which will, of course, then get tossed back to the House. Rinse, repeat ad nauseum.

(Is nausea pre-existing?!)
Pregnancy is. Nausea is part of pregnancy.

Migraines are. Nausea is a possible part of migraines. So... maybe?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The overtime issue is the employees choice.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr1180/summary?utm_campaign=govtrack_email_update&utm_source=govtrack/email_update&utm_medium=email
Uh-huh. That's what they're telling us.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
So, they don't want to cover contraception. They really don't want to cover or even loosely fund abortion ... but they're also balking at covering prenatal care.

On which planet does any of that make sense?!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yup. I know what the bill says.

I also know that there's nothing the legislature can do to change human nature. And human nature being what it is, you can bet there are employers who will find ways to make sure the employee's choice is for less money.

eerelations

Actually Mexican health care is not cheap. If you get residente permanente status (like green card) you can get government-paid health care for no money spent. But it's not easy, the hospitals are not the greatest, wait lines for a doc are long, etc. If you purchase insurance for the next level up it's about $2500 per year and it's pretty grand. But some pre-existing conditions apply (albeit none of the women things, more like things that both women and men have, like heart disease or whatever). For $3500 per year you can get platinum health care, no pre-existing conditions, the best care possible. Most ex-pats choose the $2500 per year option. I have seen the hospitals they would go to on this plan, and they are wonderful. (To the point that I can't imagine what the next-level hospitals would be like - do they have dancers? Women singing operas in the common areas? Restaurants catering gourmet food?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">