• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to Decide About Chapter 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyGolightly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am not behind on any of my debts. I have an average credit score with about $25,000 in unsecured debt. I used to make a great salary but have been unemployed for 8 months, earning only unemployment, a small - really small commission from selling insurance (badly - I've only made $420 in 5 months) - blown through my meager savings and retirement funds - and next month I will be without means to pay my credit card bills...

I would like to file Chapter 7 because I don't want to be hounded by creditors for years - months or even a day. I lived that life when I was in my early 20's and I'm now 55 and would like a little peace in my golden years.

I have no assets. I owe pretty much exactly what my car is currently worth.

I would like to file Chapter 7 and re-affirm my car debt.

Questions: My ex husband called me out of the blue to advise me that he "might" have a pension coming to him from his former company and that I "might" be entitled to some of that. I called the number he gave me and it's true. "Might". If, how much and when is undetermined. Do I mention that (because it's a pension - it wouldn't be a part of my bankruptcy estate - but it's HIS pension - does that make a difference?)

My 22 year old college student lives with me. That makes us a 2 person household, right? She contributes $100 a month toward rent from her part time job. I will report that amount as income - but that doesn't make her a "roommate" instead of a "dependent" does it?

I think that's it for now. I appreciate any feedback. This bankruptcy business isn't for sissies, is it? LOL!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">