• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to enlist... is Expungement option?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moses1

What is the name of your state? IL

I was arrested about a year and a half ago, for posession of cannabis and posession of paraphanelia. Am trying to enlist in the Air Force, and these charges disqualify me. My qirlfriend mentioned expunging them, but am not sure if I am eligible for this. I did supervision for them, but the fact that they are on my record kills my chances.. If anyone can help with even a little advice, would be greatly appreciated...

-"what you own, will eventually own you..."

HomeGuru

moses1 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I was arrested about a year and a half ago, for posession of cannabis and posession of paraphanelia. Am trying to enlist in the Air Force, and these charges disqualify me. My qirlfriend mentioned expunging them, but am not sure if I am eligible for this. I did supervision for them, but the fact that they are on my record kills my chances.. If anyone can help with even a little advice, would be greatly appreciated...

-"what you own, will eventually own you..."
**A: is your goal to be a fighter pilot?

M

moses1

" Not, aiming that high." No, actually, trying to get experience in Net Admin.. Have my CCNA, am working on CCNP, but dont want to work at help desk the next four years...

M

moses1

This may have been the case in the past.. And I will by no means dispute that I was in the wrong. I am however wondering, what my options are as far as moving past this blemish, left by adolescent mistakes... An aquaintance told me to hire an attorney, and yet someone else told me to do it myself... Am stuck between a rock and a hard place... any helpful advice would be appreciated...

-" LET HE WHO IS PERFECT, CAST THE FIRST STONE..."

H

happynow

Actually it's " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

M

moses1

Touche.... Still desperately want to join.. Am trying to better my life, and invest in my future as well as serve my country... I am military brat, both parents were in... Would like nothing more than to gain experience and to protect those same liberties and laws that have led me here...... any advice would be great, with or without cynicism....

carofl93

ask your recruiter

Are you working with an Air Force recruiter? If so, ask him/her about expunging those records. They may be able to suggest a way to help you out with that. A word of warning though, the military has a hard stance on drugs...even the minor ones like marijuana.

N

NancyLou9

Actually...

I "believe" that you can petition the court that sentenced you to request for an "expungment" of your record. I think there are stipulations to it, i.e. that it has to have been a certain number of years since the commission of the crime.

If you can, see if you can find anything related to this in the state's statute related to criminal behavior. Many states are now online with this. Or, you could do a free consult in a lawyer's office. They should know the procedure to do this. I'm not recommending you do the free consult with the lawyer to simply pick his brain, I hate it when people suggest that, simply that you discuss this frankly with him/her.

I'm fairly certain there is a way to remove this from your record. The file still exists, but it is sealed and removed from the recording books.

I'm not a lawyer and need to reiterate this. I was simply a Records Manager for a county next to mine and I seem to remember requests from the Criminal Court to place these records in sealed envelopes and to forward them to the Clerk of Courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">