• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to get car out of impound

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerriucic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (SUFFOLK COUNTY)

My daughter is 21 and went without paying various tickets from speeding, not coming to a complete stop. She procrastinated and her license was suspended, then insurance dropped. She was stopped and arrested due to driving with a suspended license, no inspection, suspended registration. The car was impounded. Its almost a year, tickets have been paid, court dates taken care of. She is still getting the run around when getting her car out of the impound. The impound says it needs a letter from the DA, the DA says she needs to call her lawyer (which is a public defender), they need a letter from them, the public defender has not sent any letter to the DA as of today nor do they return our phone calls. The cost of getting the car out of the impound is now $2,515. I went on the Suffolk County Police impound site and it says you just go down and pay in cash, no mention of any letter for a release.
I originally wanted to get the car back for myself but they said she had to go to court and settle it first. Now I'm wondering if I could have gotten the car back a long time ago and not racked up this cost of $2515. What can be done to get the car back and is there a way to get the amount lowered and more reasonable. Her father bought her the car and because of her irresponsibility the car was to be given to me. I appreciate any input on this. Thanks! Kerri

Last edited:

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (SUFFOLK COUNTY)

My daughter is 21 and went without paying various tickets from speeding, not coming to a complete stop. She procrastinated and her license was suspended, then insurance dropped. She was stopped and arrested due to driving with a suspended license, no inspection, suspended registration. The car was impounded. Its almost a year, tickets have been paid, court dates taken care of. She is still getting the run around when getting her car out of the impound. The impound says it needs a letter from the DA, the DA says she needs to call her lawyer (which is a public defender), they need a letter from them, the public defender has not sent any letter to the DA as of today nor do they return our phone calls. The cost of getting the car out of the impound is now $2,515. I went on the Suffolk County Police impound site and it says you just go down and pay in cash, no mention of any letter for a release.
I originally wanted to get the car back for myself but they said she had to go to court and settle it first. Now I'm wondering if I could have gotten the car back a long time ago and not racked up this cost of $2515. What can be done to get the car back and is there a way to get the amount lowered and more reasonable. Her father bought her the car and because of her irresponsibility the car was to be given to me. I appreciate any input on this. Thanks! Kerri
The amount would have been much more reasonable had your daughter paid the tickets when they were due. The problem with ignoring them is that they incur late fees. However, as Senior Judge has said, if you show up with the $2515 they want, they will give you back the car. If you don't, then they will eventually sell the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">