• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to help mom divorce dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Simsy4

What is the name of your state? California

I am 18 yrs old, my father left one day with the car about 3 or 4 years ago, I have been trying to help my mother divorce him but we can't find him and have no idea where he is. My mom petitioned for child support and I remember looking at the documents but am unsure because it was a while ago, we can't collect it because he's probably getting paid under the table and not using his social security card. Can my mother collect this child support even after all these years? And what are the first steps my mom must take to file for a divorce when we can't find him?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Simsy4 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am 18 yrs old, my father left one day with the car about 3 or 4 years ago, I have been trying to help my mother divorce him but we can't find him and have no idea where he is. My mom petitioned for child support and I remember looking at the documents but am unsure because it was a while ago, we can't collect it because he's probably getting paid under the table and not using his social security card. Can my mother collect this child support even after all these years? And what are the first steps my mom must take to file for a divorce when we can't find him?

My response:

Your post doesn't make sense. If you can't find him, how did your mother Petition the court, and then serve him with an order of support?

If your Mom wants a dissolution, all she has to do is obtain an order from the court allowing her to publish the summons in a newspaper of "general circulation" near where he was last known to reside. That's it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">