• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to take a vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imfrustrated

What is the name of your state? New York
I used to have joint custody, but now have sole custody of my 8 yr old daughter. I am planning a three day trip to canada and her father is telling me that i cannot take her out orf the country without his written consent. It is not stated in our court agreement so why would he be telling me this and is it true?

M

motherof3

If I am not misstaking sole custody means that you make all of the decisions about the child and he has no say so in the matter, you may have to show that you have sole custody to someone at the airport though...

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

someone correct me if i'm wrong but..

it's my understanding that if you have sole custody you don't need his permission, but you would need your court papers stating you have sole custody to cross the border.

I

imfrustrated

Thanks for your input. That is what i thought too. I think he is just out to give me a ard time on this just like he does on everything else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">