• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TS/SCI Clearance and Drug Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbillings

I'm a student in College right now and my company wants me to get a security clearance. I've been using marijuana recreationally for the past few months... but stopped immediately after reading the SF86. I don't plan on smoking anymore because I've realized work is much more important. I've also used cocaine on a couple instances, but they were outside the country and wouldn't happen again.

I am willing to be fully honest about all this stuff and tell the investigator that it was all kinda me just being silly at the time... but I feel like that since it's so recent that it's going to be an automatic DQ. After researching on the internet, I don't really see anyone in my position. Mostly just adults who made the same mistakes I did in college (and probably even more, or for a longer period of time) and as long as they admit to that it's usually not an issue and they're cleared.

Biggest issues I have are:
- Recent use
- It's a high level clearance... this is TS that requires a poly

What do you guys think? I'm also not really sure how to tell my Security Officer this... I mean, the last thing I'd want is to lose my job all in all. I know if I submit the forms then obviously they'll be aware. He also indicated to me that whatever is discussed regarding this stuff is just between me and him so I feel OK with it. It's important to note that I don't *need* this clearance necessarily to maintain my job, but I do need it if I want more opportunities and to move up.

Thanks.

jbillings

Thanks for your response, but I've done quite a bit of google searching and have found almost everything there is on the internet regarding this matter (i.e. the ADR). I'm looking for someone with personal experience to give their feedback... or maybe an internet source of someone with a situation similar to mine that I haven't found?

jbillings

Also... does my employer have the right to terminate me based on the knowledge that I've done drugs while employed, even though I have vowed to discontinue use. I haven't said anything to my Security Officer yet because I'm scared it might pose a problem. We don't get drug tested at my company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">