• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TCAREY73

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am considering resigning from my current position; and, I have a question regarding tuition reimbursement agreements. The company that I was originally hired to work for was brought by another company; and, the name of the company has now been changed. I signed a tuition reimbursement agreement with the original company before it was purchased by the new company. The agreement states that I agree to work for the company for two years following the completion of each course taken. If I leave within the first year I am required to pay back 100% of the reimbursement & if I leave within the second year I am required to pay back 50% of the reimbursement. The company that purchased the company I originally worked for has a different tuition reimbursement plan. The new company's tuition reimbursement policy states, employees agree to work for the company for one year (not two years); and, if the employee leaves within one year he/she must repay the money. The new company said both companies’ tuition reimbursement plans would be reviewed & one tuition reimbursement plan would be adopted or they would come up with a new tuition reimbursement plan. It has been a little over a year since the company was purchased & the tuition reimbursement plan has not been addressed. So, I am still receiving reimbursement under the original company's plan & I have not signed a new agreement under the new company name (not sure if that matters). The new company did address and change other benefits this past January. The old company's medical insurance was eliminated & the new company's medical insurance was implemented. I wanted to find out if I am required to repay the reimbursement under the original company's plan if I leave. Also, the agreement doesn't state how I have to pay the money back. The agreement just says I have to repay either 50% or 100% depending upon when I leave. I would like to know if the reimbursement agreement is enforceable since it was signed with the old company. Or does the new company assume all of the agreements entered into with the old company? Also, new employees being hired receive the benefits of the new company - not the old company. I want to leave; but, I also want to understand my obligation to the new company. Thanks in advance!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one here can comment on the enforceability of a contract we have not read, and we certainly cannot comment on the enforceability of a contract that is currently under review in respect to a merger.

This is an issue you are going to have to address with your employer.

Sockeye

My suggestion would be to use the maximum payout to measure what the job change is going to cost, then make the decision based on that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">