• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tuition reimbursement (not greedy just need some clarification)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bunkerspoon

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Here's one for you. I just put my two weeks in last week, leaving on great terms. I haven't had my exit interview yet and know they are going to ask me for the tuition money back. I signed two papers last year that did not say anything about paying the money back. 1/05/05 a new policy was put into place for reimbursement. The policy by the parent company does not say anything about paying the money back, but the new form to fill out says "If my employment is terminated for cause by the Company or if I voluntarily quit, I shall repay to the company 100% of all tuition reimbursements made to me within one year prior to the date of termination" Since I signed that form I did not relize what I was signing cause the policy did not say anything. (I know it was stupid of me to do) I was under pressure to pay the bills and was not in the right frame of mind. Anyways I didn't accept any money after I signed that form. Question is am I still liable to pay the previous moneys or are the previous payments part of the other forms I signed that say nothing about paying it back. the bill comes to 6300 and I don't have it. I have no problem paying it back later but I just want to know if I have any ground to stand on.

Beth3

I doubt this repayment agreement can be applied retro-actively. If the company insists upon your repaying the tuition money you received before the new policy went into place, contact an attorney.

bunkerspoon

I thought the same. What type of attorney should I contact. I'm worried I may pay for someone who will promise me the world but can't deliver.

Beth3

Why do you need an attorney already? First you need to find out whether your employer is going to come looking for the tuition money.

I sure wouldn't spend the money on an attorney before finding out if I even needed one. If you do need an attorney, it's likely any "general practice" attorney can assist you. This is a pretty straightfoward contract issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">