• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement - Office Closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanomini

What is the name of your state? PA

I have used my company's tuition reimbursment program to pay for undergraduate courses. The office I work for is transferring to TX at the end of the month. Because of this, I am starting a job with a new company close to where I work now once my current office closes. I signed a contract that states: "should i resign my position with Company X or be terminated for cause, or willful misconduct, reimbursement of tuition and fees/books expended by Company X in accordance with our tuition support policy is mandatory."

It seems wrong for my company to hold the tuition repayment over my head in order to force me to transfer to a different branch. I do not want to relocate or change my lifestyle. In my eyes, my job left me. I did not leave my job. Are my only options to transfer to a new location or pay the full tuition amount back?

Please help! Thanks.

Crazed98

nanomini said:
Are my only options to transfer to a new location or pay the full tuition amount back?

Pretty much. Your company only paid for college so they would have a college graduate working for them. If you are not going to be working for them they should get their money back.

Beth3

(1) Have they offered you a position in Texas when the office moves?

(2) If not, are you saying you will be working up until the date the PA office closes and then starting the new job?

nanomini

Beth3 said:
(1) Have they offered you a position in Texas when the office moves?

(2) If not, are you saying you will be working up until the date the PA office closes and then starting the new job?
1. Yes
2. Yes

This is truly an ambiguous area for me. Simply, I am staying with the office and holding my position until both no longer exists. Is this considered resignation? I was prepared to fulfill the terms of the contract provided my employment conditions remain the same. The office closing was completely out of my control.

Beth3

If they've offered you a job in Texas and you've refused, then strictly speaking you've resigned your employment. For all practical purposes though, your job is being eliminated and you are being involuntarily terminated when the office moves.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to consult with a local attorney. There may be some relevant case law that is worth looking into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">