• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoEmployee

What is the name of your state? Missouri

For the past 2 years I have been taking college-level classes working toward my B.S. I have received Pell grants both years. I have always disclosed those Pell amounts on the paperwork I turn in to my company for tuition reimbursement. They have never taken any dollar amount out of my annual limit because I received Pell. They have always "reimbursed" me for the cost of every class without asking whether it was actually "PAID" for by a loan, by a Pell amount, or out of my pocket. No questions asked.

After requesting "reimbursement" for my first class this year, I am now told that the amount of Pell I received is being taken "off the top" of my eligible benefits. So I will not be "reimbursed" for any tuition until that $850 Pell is applied. When I pointed out that this had never been done before, I was told that I attended a much more expensive school before, where my Pell was just a drop in the bucket and I spent much more than my Pell and my $4000 "reimbursement" cap combined each year. Now that I have transferred to a less expensive school, I may not spend more than the $4000 cap this year.

The policy that applies to tuition reimbursement has not changed since I began going to school. Same policy as before. This is just a new way to interpret the policy and apply this technicality to the process.

My question is, since the policy has not changed, and the history is there to show that I was never penalized for receiving a Pell grant before, is it legal for them to now interpret the policy to penalize me for getting government aid? My stand is that Pell grants are given not just to pay tuition. They are given to help out with all aspects of school expenses. It seems discriminatory that they will pay someone who doesn't receive any grants the full amount of tuition cost. They are punishing me for being low-income and for switching to a more cost-efficient school. If I didn't qualify for Pell, if I attended a higher-cost University, I would get the full $4000 per year.

Is this even worth challenging over $850?

Frustrated and Mad in Missouri

seniorjudge

MoEmployee said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

For the past 2 years I have been taking college-level classes working toward my B.S. I have received Pell grants both years. I have always disclosed those Pell amounts on the paperwork I turn in to my company for tuition reimbursement. They have never taken any dollar amount out of my annual limit because I received Pell. They have always "reimbursed" me for the cost of every class without asking whether it was actually "PAID" for by a loan, by a Pell amount, or out of my pocket. No questions asked.

After requesting "reimbursement" for my first class this year, I am now told that the amount of Pell I received is being taken "off the top" of my eligible benefits. So I will not be "reimbursed" for any tuition until that $850 Pell is applied. When I pointed out that this had never been done before, I was told that I attended a much more expensive school before, where my Pell was just a drop in the bucket and I spent much more than my Pell and my $4000 "reimbursement" cap combined each year. Now that I have transferred to a less expensive school, I may not spend more than the $4000 cap this year.

The policy that applies to tuition reimbursement has not changed since I began going to school. Same policy as before. This is just a new way to interpret the policy and apply this technicality to the process.

My question is, since the policy has not changed, and the history is there to show that I was never penalized for receiving a Pell grant before, is it legal for them to now interpret the policy to penalize me for getting government aid? My stand is that Pell grants are given not just to pay tuition. They are given to help out with all aspects of school expenses. It seems discriminatory that they will pay someone who doesn't receive any grants the full amount of tuition cost. They are punishing me for being low-income and for switching to a more cost-efficient school. If I didn't qualify for Pell, if I attended a higher-cost University, I would get the full $4000 per year.

Is this even worth challenging over $850?

Frustrated and Mad in Missouri

Q: My question is, since the policy has not changed, and the history is there to show that I was never penalized for receiving a Pell grant before, is it legal for them to now interpret the policy to penalize me for getting government aid?

A: I suspect that your double-dipping is over. But I guess if you wanted to file a complaint, then contact these folks: http://www.dolir.mo.gov

MoEmployee

You are of course entitled to your opinion with regard to whether I am "double dipping", even though it is rather snarky of you to make such a comment without having any more information than I have provided here.

Double dipping would mean that I am getting paid twice for the same thing. That is not the case here. There are expenses other than tuition and books incurred as a student, which Pell is intended to apply toward every bit as much as tuition/book expenses.

Regardless of my lack of appreciation for your negativity and condescension, I do thank you for your informative reply.

pattytx

Sorry, but it sounds like double dipping to me, unless I misunderstood what you said. If tuition is $2k and books, fees, etc. are $200, and you get an $800 Pell grant, then your out-of-pocket cost is $1400. Why would the employer reimburse you for any more than that?:confused:

MoEmployee

My out of pocket expenses will be more than $4000 to attend school this year. They are reducing my available benefit by $850 because I qualify for a grant. Frankly, it is none of their business what I spend the grant money on. This is equivalent to telling someone that if they qualify for food stamps, the company is going to charge them more for their health insurance because they are getting government assistance. I will spend around $6000 this year on tuition and books, not to mention any other expenses associated with going to school. If my co-worker who does not qualify for a Pell grant spends $6000 on tuition and books also, he will be reimbursed $4000 by our company. I will only be reimbursed $3150 by our company, even though I am spending more than $4000. Hardly double dipping, and from where I sit it is punishment for being low income.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And of course you know that they're not obligated to provide you with any tuition reimbursement at all, right?

seniorjudge

MoEmployee said:
You are of course entitled to your opinion with regard to whether I am "double dipping", even though it is rather snarky of you to make such a comment without having any more information than I have provided here.

Double dipping would mean that I am getting paid twice for the same thing. That is not the case here. There are expenses other than tuition and books incurred as a student, which Pell is intended to apply toward every bit as much as tuition/book expenses.

Regardless of my lack of appreciation for your negativity and condescension, I do thank you for your informative reply.
Definition of "snarky": I didn't get the answer I wanted.:D

MoEmployee

cbg said:
And of course you know that they're not obligated to provide you with any tuition reimbursement at all, right?
Incorrect statement. They are obligated by their own policy to reimburse tuition based upon my supervisor's approval of said reimbursement. Which I obtained. Which affects HIS bottom line expenses, no one elses.

MoEmployee

seniorjudge said:
Definition of "snarky": I didn't get the answer I wanted.:D
Definition of "snarky", from Webster's online: Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.

I expected an answer to my question about the legality of changing the way the policy was applied without changing the policy. Instead I got accused of theft and made to feel like less of a human for even asking the question to begin with.

Lovely forum folks, thanks for keeping on open mind and for the "legal advice", great job there. But then I should not have expected much from "free advice", right? You should change the motto from "Outstanding Advice" to "We Don't Want Your Kind Here".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">